Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds!

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #21  
I keep hearing this but I am wondering what is the reason this is the case? Is it because many more 'hacks' just pick up a MIG and start welding, or is it something with the process?

In my opinion too many manufactures hire "weldors" that aren't "weldors". Not really.. Yes too many "hacks" pickup a MIG gun and start in "welding" with really knowing what they are doing.. If done properly MIG is an excellent process that will make sound welds all day, and really fast too. That is why it is used in industry. But if done improperly, it makes pretty beads with no penetration. Just like what you saw on the grapples. Some time back someone posted a broken off tooth on a toothbar, same thing, never was welded on to begin with, just barely stuck on, even though the bead looked pretty. It wasn't hot enough to penetrate. TURN IT UP!,,

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #22  
Yes you can see in those photo's that it was never "welded" in the first place.. Just a hot bead laid on the steel. This could all be the work of one man with a machine set too cold. Might explain why some don't have the problem and some do. Obviously the QC inspector was out to lunch.

Maybe on some James, but it also seems the top bar is a bit thin as well, I neglected to link this post/thread as well: Initial thoughts of Land Pride Grapple for BX25 - Page 2 - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #24  
Nothing wrong with the Mig process, if you're not afraid to turn it up! It only takes horse power. ;)

Attachments

• 224A Best.JPG
    224A Best.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 174
   / Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds!
Ok, it's fixed and back from the dealer. They welded it on both sides of each joint, for all 4 across the top. I bet it holds now.
image.jpg

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #26  
Wouldn't that maybe been considered a Friday made grapple or maybe a Monday.

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #27  
Here's a maintenance idea for you...

I have an SC0548 on my BX25D and I discovered that the pins that are on the ends of the hydraulic cylinders (which do not have grease fittings) are the same size as the pins (with grease fittings) that attach the Backhoe foot pads to the outrigger arms. I just priced them at the dealer and they said about $14 ea. Could be an upgrade in the future to replace the ones on the grapple so I can grease them! The other pins on the grapple are just bolts and I take the nut off the end and squirt some grease in there with a needle tip on the grease gun.

Your mileage my vary! :thumbsup:

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #28  
I have been in manufacturing for 35 years and I would love to hear a explanation for this defect. Welding plate steel is cut and dried. Turn up the juice and have at it. Anybody can weld plate steel. Tiging a beer can now that is an art.
The welder settings should be dictated by manufacturing engineering. A defined process should be in place.

That said screw up do occur.