Landpride blades won't come off

/ Landpride blades won't come off #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
I want to sharpen the cutter blades on my 72 inch Landpride bush hog but the blades mount on a large stud attached to a disk about 24 inch diameter. There is no visible way to unscrew the blades that I can see. Do I unbolt the center hub and take the whole assemly off or is there another way?

/ Landpride blades won't come off #2  
The nuts are typically on top of the disk (stump jumper) and there may or may not be an access hole in the top of the deck. My Howse did not originally have an access hole, but a 4" grinder with a cut-off disc fixed that :D

You may be better off just sharpening the blades while they're still attached. An angle grinder is all you need. They don't need to be razor sharp, anyway.

-rus-

/ Landpride blades won't come off #3  
Most people take off the stumpjumper to get access to the blades to sharpen. If they are not too bad, you may be able to do it on the machine. If you get under the cutter, please have a safety jack stand under it and make sure no one is close to the tractor and you have the tractor keys in your pocket. Ken Sweet

/ Landpride blades won't come off #4  
My Land Pride cutter (RCR1860) has a large black rubber plug on the rear of the deck to give access to the blade nuts.

If you do take them off, my manual calls for 450 ft.lbs of torque on the nuts, which is tighter than he)( for most of us.

A touch up with an angle grinder is all it should take unless they're really bad, like the guys have said they're not very sharp to begin with.

I plan on lifting mine with the FEL and sharpening in place unless I have to take them off.

Sean

/ Landpride blades won't come off
Thank you for your responses> Think you are right to sharpen in place with an angle grinder. I will take it off and stand it on the side chained to the FEL