Comparison LandPride RTR1266 tiller offset vs. sideshift

/ LandPride RTR1266 tiller offset vs. sideshift #1  

cmcramer

Tractor
none
Help! Would someone please explain the difference between the two descriptions seen below, both taken from LandPride's website description of their RTR 12xx series tillers?

"HITCH SIDESHIFT CAPABILITIES Sideshift tiller to cover right tire track. Gearbox slides with tiller." and

"OFFSET CAPABILITIES Allows tiller to work closer to objects such as fence lines, buildings and trees."

I do not understand the difference. Plus...

I just came home from a Farm Show where the LandPride Dealer showed me a RTR1266 tiller, and showed me how the gearbox was FIXED in position, it did not 'slide', there was no shaft to slide on, and no, this unit does NOT offset so as to cover tire tracks said the Dealer. Saw it with my own 2 eyes.

To confuse matters more, every image of these LP RTR12xx tillers I can find, shows a shaft that the gearbox DOES slide back and forth on!

Is Land Pride now manufacturing them different, and the web site and online images just have not caught up? thanks!

/ LandPride RTR1266 tiller offset vs. sideshift #2  
I'm guessing what they mean is you can adjust your check chains to offset the drag links to one side, thereby covering one of the tire tracks. Since the gearbox is fixed to the frame of the tiller, it "slides (offsets) with the tiller". Kind of a weasel-word way of saying you can offset the implement by adjusting your hitch geometry, no different from any other 3pt implement?

Here's what I think the website is telling us:

On the 15 series it looks like the hitch pin brackets are welded to the tiller's frame. Since the gearbox is fixed to the frame of the tiller, it "slides (offsets) with the tiller". This means you put additional angle on the PTO shaft.

On the 20 series the hitch pin brackets are clamped to the tiller's frame, using U-bolts, allowing the tiller to be offset without altering the tractor's hitch parts. Since the gearbox is fixed to the frame of the tiller, it "slides (offsets) with the tiller". This means you put additional angle on the PTO shaft.

On the 25 series the hitch pin brackets are welded to a sub-frame that is clamped to the tiller's frame, using U-bolts, allowing the tiller to be offset without adjusting the tractor's hitch parts. Since the gearbox is welded to a sub-frame that is clamped to the tiller's frame, using the same U-bolts, it slides (offsets) with the hitch pins. This means you don't put additional angle on the PTO shaft.

I'd suggest you go to a dealer who can show you the difference between the 3 different tillers to clarify what actually needs to be done to offset each type, and how those differences will affect use and operation.

/ LandPride RTR1266 tiller offset vs. sideshift
I'm guessing what they mean is you can adjust your check chains to offset the drag links to one side, thereby covering one of the tire tracks. Since the gearbox is fixed to the frame of the tiller, it "slides (offsets) with the tiller". Kind of a weasel-word way of saying you can offset the implement by adjusting your hitch geometry, no different from any other 3pt implement?

Here's what I think the website is telling us:

On the 15 series it looks like the hitch pin brackets are welded to the tiller's frame. Since the gearbox is fixed to the frame of the tiller, it "slides (offsets) with the tiller". This means you put additional angle on the PTO shaft.

On the 20 series the hitch pin brackets are clamped to the tiller's frame, using U-bolts, allowing the tiller to be offset without altering the tractor's hitch parts. Since the gearbox is fixed to the frame of the tiller, it "slides (offsets) with the tiller". This means you put additional angle on the PTO shaft.

On the 25 series the hitch pin brackets are welded to a sub-frame that is clamped to the tiller's frame, using U-bolts, allowing the tiller to be offset without adjusting the tractor's hitch parts. Since the gearbox is welded to a sub-frame that is clamped to the tiller's frame, using the same U-bolts, it slides (offsets) with the hitch pins. This means you don't put additional angle on the PTO shaft.

I'd suggest you go to a dealer who can show you the difference between the 3 different tillers to clarify what actually needs to be done to offset each type, and how those differences will affect use and operation.

BabyGrand, sounds like you're right. Here's the response from LandPride factory Rep. to my same question:

I apologize for the confusion, the offset capability means the lower 2 points can slide left or right, leaving the drive line at an angle. The side shift capability means the entire gear box can shift along with the lower two points shifting. This gives the unit a "true offset" where the driveline is not at an angle.