Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used?

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used? #1  

familyman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
I'm in the middle of grading and prepping an area for planting grass. I have some very nice screened topsoil that I want to spread over this prepped area so the grass seed has good soil to grow in.

Because this ground slopes to a new trench for drainage, I'm concerned about this topsoil washing away.

My first thought was to till or disc the good soil into the old, plant the seed, then roll it tight. I would have to buy or borrow either a tiller or a disc harrow, as well as a roller, to do this.

Then I remembered this roll of material, which was a throwaway from a commercial jobsite.

Is this meant to be used for growing grass? What's it called? Should I simply spread my topsoil, spread seed and then roll this stuff over everything? Where might I buy more?

All suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• 100_2317.jpg
    100_2317.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,082
  • 100_2318.jpg
    100_2318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 522
  • 100_2287.jpg
    100_2287.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 256
   / Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used? #2  
I usually prepare the planting surface...add seed and rake it in. You can roll it, but I have found that when the ground is really smooth, when it rains the water runs and creates troughs fast. I like keeping is rough from hand raking. Then add salt hay over the whole area. If you are really concerned about having it washed away.....I once put a tarp over the seeded area...it germinated the seed days earlier. You have to monitor this because although it may help in germination...it can kill the grass very quickly due to heat. I stumpled on this by accident...I was trying to prevent the soil from washing away during a huge thunderstorm. I left it on for a day and when I removed it I had grass immediatly...it was actually yellow (no sunlight) but turned green in a day.

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used? #3  
Yeah, I think that stuff is meant to lay over the fresh grass sead to help keep it in place, kind of a fake straw. I've seen it used on construction sites quite a bit. The only problem is it doesn't break down all the way or takes a long time to break down.

Landscape fabric is what I think of to be layed under muclh to keep weeds from growing up. It lets water in, but covers the soil and keeps weeds from growing as easily.

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used?
Yeah, I think that stuff is meant to lay over the fresh grass sead to help keep it in place, kind of a fake straw. I've seen it used on construction sites quite a bit. The only problem is it doesn't break down all the way or takes a long time to break down.

Landscape fabric is what I think of to be layed under muclh to keep weeds from growing up. It lets water in, but covers the soil and keeps weeds from growing as easily.

That's what I was thinking. It's porous enough to let water and sunlight through, but has enough texture to hold onto the soil.

Scotty -- There's about 3,000 sq. ft. to cover, so tarps are out of the question. Thanks for the idea, though. It may come in handy for smaller areas.

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used? #5  
Scotty -- There's about 3,000 sq. ft. to cover, so tarps are out of the question. Thanks for the idea, though. It may come in handy for smaller areas.

I had a few very large ones and some clear plastic rolls and covered over 5000 feet.....LOL! I was freaking out that all my hard work and soild was going to end up down the hill!

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used?
I had a few very large ones and some clear plastic rolls and covered over 5000 feet.....LOL! I was freaking out that all my hard work and soild was going to end up down the hill!

I hear you. I have plenty of 6mil. poly, but its has a different future in store for it. Sunlight would ruin it but fast.

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used? #7  
have you thought about burlap?..russ

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used? #9  
when I was a kid [long ago] my dad used it on a hill in our yard.The grass grew through the burlap and evuntually the burlap rotted away.Before the use of that fabric you have a lot of co. used it along new construction on hwys.now days they spray the seed on w/a fertilizer .Not sure what else is in that spray but it sticks to the ground and gives the seed time to geremiate.

/ Landscape fabric question; what is this, how is it used? #10  
I think that stuff is geotextile fabric for hillside construction to prevent washouts along embankments on highways, its pricey or spendy as they say in MN.

I would spread the loam, rake to reasonably level seed, then put down straw or whatever else you have - the geotex fabric will defintely stop runoff if you want to use it. If you do use it would cut the roll in half and stripe it every 2-3 feet on the sloping sections then fill in with straw on the top.

Once you get everything down roll it with a lawn roller - I have an old lawn roller I use empty to do this.