Landscape rake for roots, sticks

/ Landscape rake for roots, sticks #12  
A landscape rake will help remove anything that's loose. Roots still attached it wont remove. For really rough ground try removing every other rake tine.

/ Landscape rake for roots, sticks #13  
I wouldn't get one with gauge wheels. Just use your lift to adjust how aggressive it digs in. Rural King sells them. Good used rakes from CL or FB are just as good as new and cheaper. I couldn't believe how high priced they are when I was browsing Rural King the other day.

I have a 6' landscape rake and it does a good job of grabbing everything that's loose. I don't think you'll do your FINAL leveling with it, but it will help get all of that debris out of your way. Especially if you're able to pull it all out and then push it into burn piles or otherwise get it out of your way.

How wide do you need? At least 5' right? Is 6' too wide for that tractor? FYI, I've never had much luck using my rake tilted to the left or right. It doesn't move material sideways like a blade would. Instead rocks and sticks get stuck between tines so I just use it to pull that material out and them "dump" it where I can push it into a pile or scoop it up with the loader. For that reason, I don't think that the "angled" width is all that important, but everyone will have different opinions and experiences with it.

I think $2500 is about 3-4 times what one should cost. Check RK or TSC. Could probably find a used one for $400 - $500 or less.

Last edited:
   / Landscape rake for roots, sticks #14  
I would start with a box blade. You can level the land and lower the scarifers to pull out roots, sticks etc. and pile up. I am clearing land as well and start with my box blade and then use my pulveriser after that for final touch up before planting grass.

I also have a 7 ft. heavy duty landscape rake that I use for picking up leftover trash. I removed every other tine and it helped a lot for grabbing stuff and leaving the dirt behind. The rake does not level the ground out as well as a box blade.

/ Landscape rake for roots, sticks #15  
It will remove sticks and other debris. Sticks can get caught in the tines though so be prepared to get off and clean them out every so often.

/ Landscape rake for roots, sticks #16  
Several posters have said that they do not think a landscape rake is a good implement for the task you describe, and I agree with them.

1. Roots still in the ground will probably catch on the rake, setting, bending or distorting some tines so that you get a ragged leveling edge.

2. Loose roots and branches will get stuck between tines, again making the edge ragged and likely gouging soil and grindings into an uneven surface. When you raise the rake to leave a pile, the stuck pieces will likely remain, requiring you to dismount to free them.

A rear blade may catch on roots but hopefully will not bend or distort. Branches may hang up on top of the blade, but the blade is more likely to "self-clear" when raised.

After the initial grading you will have varying depths of easily decomposable grindings and chips that will subside, loose soil that will compact and subside, and various sticks and roots that will tend to "heave". All this means you will have to regrade, and regrade, and regrade until some equilibrium is established.

Your initial post implies that cost is a consideration. In my opinion the most bang for the buck is the heaviest rear blade your tractor and your wallet can handle. Your initial post also states this is a homesite; presumably this will mean finish grading for which a landscape rake with gauge wheels would be appropriate. Some high-quality and obviously more expensive landscape rakes have grading blades and even scarifiers. You will have to be the one to study catalogs and price lists and to decide if such a rake or a combination of implements will be the best choice for you.

/ Landscape rake for roots, sticks #17  
I am clearing land for a home site. I am removing a bunch of trees (mainly walnut, oak and locust). After clearing the trees and grinding stumps there is a lot of loose roots and sticks and also depressions left over from stump grinding. Would a landscape rake be a good tool for raking all this up and leveling it? I am thinking about a Land Pride LR1672 with gauge wheels behind a TYM 2515H (25 hp). A local dealer priced one at $2250 with the wheel kit. That seems high but if the quality is there maybe not. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I live in the middle of the woods. Leaves are a Hugh problem and pose a fire risk. I put a 6' rake on my little tractor and go to town. I use a leaf blower to clear the trees and close to the house and push all of the litter back into the woods with the tractor and rake. Using the rake really doesn't harm the lawn but it will level out the high parts a little.
I bought my 6' rake at Rural king for around $600. It is holding up real well, is made in the USA and makes it easier for an old geezer to rake his yard.