Landscape water feature advice

/ Landscape water feature advice #11  
WOW! What Universe do you live in? We had department of Agriculture offices. I was fortunate enough to enjoy income providing security for them for a few decades. Now, ALL LONG GONE! Brick and mortor offices sold off long ago. Probably some web site where you can waste your time, only to find nothing usefull. Maybe some FAQs, that never touch on anything you want to know.

/ Landscape water feature advice #12  
It hard to provide technical advice without a plan. When I built my house in 1994 I put in a pond and waterfall with a bridge that led to the path wandering through the garden to work. ( the farm maintenance yard behind my house.

Here are a few pics from that timeframe.

The first pic shows level elevation and the building of a berm to screen the farm buildings and equipment.

[ Image (17).jpg

Image (16).jpg

Image (22).jpg

As you can see the water feature and berm were necessary to create my own views from the house and to segregate the workplace from home life.

Image (18).jpg

Attachments

• Image (15).jpg
    Image (15).jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
   / Landscape water feature advice #13  
We did this a few years ago. You need to figure out how high the water fall is and how big is the feature. Making a little sketch will help. Then you have a starting point on how much water. The irrigation supply people can help you spec the pump(s) depending on water flow. That's the hard part getting the right gpm to make the feature work right. Pipe size will be dependent on the pump. . We use two pumps a 3" and a 4" low pressure high volume pumps. It starts with two water falls each about 2 foot wide flow into another pond then down a creek bed over some small falls to a larger 30 x 60 pond. You are going to have to have some kind of water impound for the water to go to when it is off and for the pump to get a good supply for the intake. A large tank of some kind might work but it seems to me it would be hard to keep leaves and dirt out and clean if they got in. FYI we bought our liner from "The Pond Guy" online. Hope this helps.

/ Landscape water feature advice #14  
The slope and the length of the feature will be major factors in pump size. Pump size will regulate pipe size. As mentioned above, measurements and a sketch will be very useful. Also mentioned above a local irrigation supply company will be most helpful. I used to get a water feature supply catalog, back when I landscaped, I will have to look and see if I can find an old one to pass along the name. If you do not want a pool of water, you could have your water storage in ground. Biggest problem with that would be monitoring your water level. At least with a pool you can check your water level and add accordingly. If you buried a large enough tank then it would not have to be filled as often, but evaporation is an issue.

/ Landscape water feature advice #15  
With no idea of the topography no help for design.

But I can suggest a septic tank at the low end for water storage and pump location.

/ Landscape water feature advice
BIG BARN, regrettably I cannot open your attachments, might there be another avenue as I’m very interested in seeing your presentation.

/ Landscape water feature advice
EGON, good idea on using a septic tank for water storage. I think that would be much better than those Mickey Mouse plastic baskets I see advertised.
I’m becoming a little more savvy on what my options are thanks to U Tube and other internet sources and like what I see on the ‘Pond Guy’ sight.

/ Landscape water feature advice #18  
BIG BARN, regrettably I cannot open your attachments, might there be another avenue as I’m very interested in seeing your presentation.

Hmm I have no idea why that happens. They appeared fine yesterday. I will edit and try again.