Landscaping Borders

/ Landscaping Borders #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
We need some good ideas for borders where our gravel driveway meets our lawn and between the grass and flower beds. We want it to have a rustic appearance since we live on acreage, not in town. Cheap is good. Easy to build is good. Attractive is essential. RR ties are out.

So: What have you folks done in a similar situation. Any photos?

Thanks.

RS

/ Landscaping Borders #2  
RS,

We used colored concrete edgers that are 4x4x16. They are heavy and not easy to knock over and fairly easy to install. I can't remember how much they cost but I'm sure it was at least a couple of dollars. To go around our house I think I ordered two pallets of the things. They are not cheap but they look good and they won't rot or warp.

At the old house I did some borders with PT boards. It look good for the first couple of years and was somewhat inexpensive. But after a few years the board moved and warped. I could do the same thing again and build them so they would not have moved or warped as much but the edgers we used just look better.

Later,
Dan

/ Landscaping Borders #3  
I used 4x6 and 6x6 PT Landscaping Timbers they are the size of railway ties but not stinky and black. You can get them at the Home Despot (check around some stores don't stock them). I did simple angles with my chainsaw to go around corners and then filled the edges with sand and gravel. I think they look pretty good and like you I am in the country where you can get away with things not being up to country club standards and still look nice.

I think they will last quite a while - they seem to go through the same PT process as Ground Contact lumber.

/ Landscaping Borders #4  
I think they will last quite a while - they seem to go through the same PT process as Ground Contact lumber.

If you do use the PT make sure its Ground Contact rated which is/was .40. I think that number is still valid for the new PT. Alot of the home centers sell PT wood that is .25 which is NOT ground contact and will rot. I used the .40 stuff and it was fine rot/bug wise after all most 8 years.

Later,
Dan

/ Landscaping Borders #5  
Cheap, easy, attractive ... Roundup with a keen eye and steady hand :) That's about as serious as I can get about borders at my place :cool:

/ Landscaping Borders #6  
I've been using field stone. It's free and looks good. Only issue is mowing next to it, but spraying roundup along the edge takes care of it for a summer

Attachments

• Back L 1611jpeg.JPG
    Back L 1611jpeg.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 546
   / Landscaping Borders #7  
Nice job YAK651. Looks like a park!

RS - can you give us some more information? How many feet of border? Sloping or level? surface smooth or rough?

I have a trick, where I have used a slip form and pored concrete with rocks placed into the form as you go. Takes only about 30 minutes to do a 6" (out of the ground) high wall, 6" wide and 36" long. That time does not count finding the stone. I will post some pictures.

Jim

/ Landscaping Borders
I have about 270 ft. along the driveway, some of which borders on grass & some on forest or areas which are as yet unplanted. Also have about 200 ft. along shrub & flower beds.

I need something I can run my mower wheels on and which will stand up to the propane delivery guy being careless & running over it when he turns around. (As soon as I get one driver trained, they hire a new driver.) I also want to be able to run my tractor over it a couple times a year.

The fieldstone looks nice, but we don't have much rock around here.

/ Landscaping Borders #9  
Pilot said:
I have about 270 ft. along the driveway, some of which borders on grass & some on forest or areas which are as yet unplanted. Also have about 200 ft. along shrub & flower beds.

I need something I can run my mower wheels on and which will stand up to the propane delivery guy being careless & running over it when he turns around. (As soon as I get one driver trained, they hire a new driver.) I also want to be able to run my tractor over it a couple times a year.

The fieldstone looks nice, but we don't have much rock around here.

Too bad, because flagstone is a great choice, only I use it flat. Lay it down, mark the edges, dig out the dirt, put in about 2" of tamped sand, and lay in the stone. Makes a nice border, and you just drive right over it to mow. Plus, it can give you a nice place to stand when watering and weeding and such.
Cheap too.:D