Mowing Large acreage to finish mow

/ Large acreage to finish mow #31  
I agree on a good Zero Turn. My Hustler Super Z diesel 66" commercial mower would handle that in about 5 hours.

If I mow all of the area that I maintain as grass at my property (approx 5 acres worth which includes around the house, a pasture, trees, a few trails...) it takes me about 2.25 hrs. The 3 acre pasture only takes only 45 mins to an hour, but the rest is all spread out with lots of obstacles, which is why it takes longer for the remaining 2 acres.

Anyhow... that's my vote. A good quality commercial grade zero turn.

/ Large acreage to finish mow #32  
That is awesome, thanks for sharing.

Use that site all the time when estimating mowing jobs.

You'd be surprised at how many people think 5-6 acres is "just a couple of acres"

OR there's only a few trees to mow around.....and the satellite clearly shows about 30 per acre+

/ Large acreage to finish mow #36  
I have about 17 acres of grass around the historic home we purchased. I don't yet have a tractor. In a perfect world, it would all be finish mowed, just because it looks so **** good when it is manicured. I end up having about 6 of the acres hayed by a neighbor twice a year. Once he makes his second cutting in the late summer, I keep all of it cut with a Grasshopper 930D with a 72 inch deck. There are many trees and obstacles, slopes, and the ground is not super smooth. For me the place is an (expensive) hobby, but I love it. I don't mow **** bent to get it done, because that take the joy out of the place, and the fillings out of my teeth. I do about 3 hours a day on days I mow. It takes 9 hours to do the whole 17 acres, but I go 10-14d in between mowings so it is fairly long, and I mow to 5 inches. The whole place is never mowed all at the same time, except for the winter. Eventually plan on a 12 ft flail for the wide open areas. Hope this helps.

/ Large acreage to finish mow #37  
Welcome to FindLotSize.com

punch in the address and figure your acreage
That is awesome.
According to this site I'm mowing 8.19 acres.
Like I said in my earlier post, my zero turn will mow it in 2 hours.
With my wife running the zero turn and me on the tractor with an 84" rear finish mower, we can mow the lawn in around 1 hour 20 minutes.

/ Large acreage to finish mow #38  
I use a woods 990RM most of the time. When the grass doen't get away from me I well use a 120" mower. The 120" the max hight is 3", so I have to keep it down to use it. This year has been bad and have not been able to use it. I started this afternoon mowing and it's more like hay, but the 990 is doing a good job,I didn't think it would. I mow 20A not counting the buildings. Should be able to do it all in 6 or 7 hrs.

/ Large acreage to finish mow
The previous owner has been using the same Grass Hopper 60" deck mower for 31 years. Only major repair was a new engine 6 years ago. Holy cow that's amazing. I May buy one of those. The property is awesome with 3 lakes, huge timber, fields, rolling hills and long range views. See pics attached.
IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0798.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0806.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: