Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?
If it were me, I'd look up the value of a new PT422 on PowerTrac's website (they list all prices of machines and implements). Then I'd look up the value of all of the attachments and add them all up. Depending on the condition of the machine, and if you can get it started, and in today's market, I'd ask somewhere between at least half of the value and 3/4 of the value, even if the engine doesn't start.

That's just me, though. Other's opinions will vary.

Some pictures of it and attachments might be of interest to some potential buyers.

There's a For Sale section here on TBN, and PowerTrac has a page for used equipment as well, so you might want to talk to Terry there as well and see how that is used.
Wow really appreciate the input. Thank you!

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #12  
If you decided to tow it out of the barn, call Power Trac first and have them help you locate the tow valve.

If you try to tow one of these machines without opening the tow valve, you will ruin the hydraulic pump.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #13  
If you decided to tow it out of the barn, call Power Trac first and have them help you locate the tow valve.

If you try to tow one of these machines without opening the tow valve, you will ruin the hydraulic pump.
That's an excellent point!!!

Don't pull or push it or you could damage it.

There's a tow port or valve (kinda different depending on model and year) that has to be bypassed to allow it to free-wheel.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #14  
Condolence’s on your loss

a possible option for service: there is a Ventrac dealer listed by Winnebago, IL which is around 40 miles from Dixon. No clue if they work on Power tractor but are of a somewhat similar design

side note if towing even with tow valve open go slow and shortest distance possible

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #15  
Wow really appreciate the input. Thank you!
Mine is among the opinions that vary. Half the price of new (currently $ 5,800 for the machine plus money for the attachments) is a starting point, but is a bit overly optimistic.

I have purchased 3 used Power Tracs, two within the past year. I paid well under 1/2 of new price. Lack of brand recognition is the driving force behind the low resale value.

I can relate to the OP's situation. It is unpleasant and stressful. A couple things that may help you get the most for the least amount of hassle:

- If you haven't already, warm the machine up before trying to start it. It is hard to undersell how cold blooded the Robin engines are. You may need a space heater instead of a mechanic.
- As already stated, any small engine mechanic can work on these machines. I have had more than one mechanic change their mind when I explain that there is no specialized knowledge required to work on a PT. they only need to know how to repair a standard small engine.
- When you are ready to sell, post on this forum. People here already know these machines and what they can do. A non-running Robin powered PT is not as big a detriment to those familiar with just how easy PTs are to work on. To me at least, the biggest (only?) value of a running Robin engine is that I can confirm the hydraulic pump is good.
- If you advertise it locally, be sure to include that these machines are still being manufactured and parts are easy to obtain. Locally, you will get the best price only if it runs. I would also include a link to Power Trac's website and a screen shot of their current price list. Power Trac's attachments are very reasonably priced compared to other manufactures. This can help sell the machine, and overcome potential buyer's hesitation due to PT's unique attachment plate system.
- In direct response to the OP's original question, I recommend putting a price to it on this forum "as-is" "where-is". If you don't get any bites for it at the price you want, you can always get it running and sell it locally.

I hope this helps.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #16  
I'm about 2 hours to your south in Illinois FWIW.

Lots of good advice so far. A trip to Farm and Fleet for a cheap torpedo heater (or one that bolts on top of a propane tank) and some fuel may be all you need to get it to go.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #17  
A hair dryer woks better than you would think to warm an engine. Also a little starting fluid helps. Hooking up a jumper pack will also spin the starter faster.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #18  
Echo the condolences on your loss. Like scotts562 I may potentially be interested if you decide to sell it depending upon price and some of the attachments. I believe the two of us are both around the Twin Cities area.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #19  
1st and foremost, condolences on the passing of your father.

It is always hard to be far away during trying times.

Dixon is Ronald Reagan's boyhood home, IIRC. I've been through there a few times years ago. Lots of farmland around, I am sure someone would put it to good use.

I used to have a cold-blooded snow blower..odd, right? We got a cheap magnetic block heater and that seemed to help. Another option would be to hold off until June or so if that is possible.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #20  
Sorry for your loss.
If you want to try and start again, use something to get it up to 50 or 60 deg. As I stated in the past, a 100 watt light bulb in the engine compartment which then needs to be covered and for at least 24 hours (the whole back of the tractor). At the same time charge the battery so it is 100%. Before you begin this put in fresh gasoline (if you think you still might own it in 6mnths, put in Stable to keep gas fresh). You will need to use a lot of choke. On my tractor in cold weather I use 100-90% on the choke until it fires for the first time. Then it stalls, repeat using less choke each time. You may flood it, just keep warm and try the next day. You could get starting fluid (either) and spray while cranking, into the carburetor (preferred) or air filter it should start briefly on the either (this will tell you/us a lot). Don't crank over 15 seconds at a time otherwise you could ruin the starter (15 seconds is quite a long time if you use a clock).
Unfortunately not to many small equipment repair facilities will want to make house calls this time of year. If you could, it may be better to wait for spring.