Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?
I'm wondering if a valve is sticking. Try a good dose of Sefoam and Marvel Mystery Oil.
Was able to try the Seafoam top end clean(the kind you spray in to the carb). Knock on wood, it ran flawless after using almost an entire bottle. I was able to run the rototiller and push blade for about an hour. Lots of starting, stopping, idling, high rpm. No hiccups. Feeling pretty good about that.

One slight newer issue, a lot of squeaking when turning. The greaseable pivot points have been greased. Maybe hydro seals around the pivot ram cylinders? Can those be lubed?

Edit: Another thing I noticed is the muffler heat output. Very hot on the right side(facing front) with a lot of volume coming out. Left side seems much lower air volume and much cooler. I dont know how the muffler is designed so that may be normal. Thoughts?

Last edited:
   / Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #52  
I use ethanol free gas with a dose of Seafoan in all of my small engines. Prevents a lot of problems.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #53  
Was able to try the Seafoam top end clean(the kind you spray in to the carb). Knock on wood, it ran flawless after using almost an entire bottle. I was able to run the rototiller and push blade for about an hour. Lots of starting, stopping, idling, high rpm. No hiccups. Feeling pretty good about that.

One slight newer issue, a lot of squeaking when turning. The greaseable pivot points have been greased. Maybe hydro seals around the pivot ram cylinders? Can those be lubed?

Edit: Another thing I noticed is the muffler heat output. Very hot on the right side(facing front) with a lot of volume coming out. Left side seems much lower air volume and much cooler. I dont know how the muffler is designed so that may be normal. Thoughts?
On the squeaks… from past experience, it’s always been the ball joints at the ends of the steering rams. I doubted it. Terry at PT was pretty convincing. I sprayed them down good with super lube, let it soak in. Repeat. Threepeat. Squeaks gone.

What does Power Trac put in the newer PT422 or PT425 machines? Do they support engine swaps?
On the squeaks… from past experience, it’s always been the ball joints at the ends of the steering rams. I doubted it. Terry at PT was pretty convincing. I sprayed them down good with super lube, let it soak in. Repeat. Threepeat. Squeaks gone.
This is exactly what I did, though I used white lithium grease as that's what I had on hand. I suppose I'll give her another go and let it work in a little bit.

What does PT use to power new PT422s and 425s? Do they support repowering in older models? I'm no machinist or fabricator but I can assemble parts if there was a swap 'kit' I could purchase. Not in a hurry to do this since it seems to be running well but I'd like to understand the options.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #56  
What does PT use to power new PT422s and 425s? Do they support repowering in older models? I'm no machinist or fabricator but I can assemble parts if there was a swap 'kit' I could purchase. Not in a hurry to do this since it seems to be running well but I'd like to understand the options.
I do not know which engines they are using now. I recall some folks getting components from PT to re-power older machines, but cannot be certain.

You could always call PT at 1-800-THE-YARD and ask them.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #57  
Congratulations on getting it running well and having fun with it!

What does Power Trac put in the newer PT422 or PT425 machines? Do they support engine swaps?

This is exactly what I did, though I used white lithium grease as that's what I had on hand. I suppose I'll give her another go and let it work in a little bit.
I think that "the squeaks" are really hard to localize, but for me they have always been the steering swivel eyes, specifically between the bolt and the tube.

Two things on "the squeaks"; Terry at Power-track recommends SuperLube synthetic spray as the lubricant of choice. Second, the steering cylinders have three concentric areas that need lubrication. There is a cylinder / swivel eye (the outer lubrication area) with a tube (the middle lubrication area, that needs lubrication inside and outside, I.e. both sides) held on by a bolt (the innermost lubrication area). It took me a few years to realize that I had to spray up against the underside of the frame ear holding the bolt to get over the top of the tube to lubricate the area between the tube and the bolt. Originally, I had just been lubricating the swivel/tube areas, which lead to "the squeaks".

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #58  

Here is a photo, near the tip of the green arrow at the top of inner tube and flange, you can see a slight gap. That is where you want some lubricant to get up and over.
94606A41-94CF-402E-B856-DC94D1875251.jpeg

All the best, Peter

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #60  
New machines have Kohler engines. Power trac sells the parts to swap a 25 hp Robin to a 25 hp Kohler, so they probably have kits for the 22 hp machines too. They are pretty easy to swap out. It is a night and day difference between the Robin and the Kohler. The 25 hp Robin is no longer made. Don't know about the 22 hp.

Here are the Kohler engine spec numbers I have used as a direct bolt on replacement for the 25 hp Robin: CH 730-3208 CH730-3207 and CH740-3363

Some other spec numbers that may work (call Kohler to confirm 866-465-6453) are CH730-3004 CH730-3331(key start on engine) AND CH750-3006

You will have to check with Power Trac and or Kohler to see if any of these are options for your PT 422

Last edited: