Late Night Hay Baling

/ Late Night Hay Baling #11  
I don't bale at night but I use a JD 535 that I bought new in '91. It's been an excellent baler. Pulling it with a '96 JD 6400 that I bought new.

Attachments

• 17hay1.jpg
    17hay1.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 145
  • 17hay2.jpg
    17hay2.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 128
  • 17hay3.jpg
    17hay3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 123
   / Late Night Hay Baling #12  
We used to only night bale when we needed a little extra moisture in the hay to keep from chewing it up

/ Late Night Hay Baling
I don't bale at night but I use a JD 535 that I bought new in '91. It's been an excellent baler. Pulling it with a '96 JD 6400 that I bought new.

Our 535 has been a good baler, but the past two years something has broken. I priced a new one and immediately decided to keep this one.

/ Late Night Hay Baling #14  
Our 535 has been a good baler, but the past two years something has broken. I priced a new one and immediately decided to keep this one.

I'm as guilty as anyone of just fixing things as they need it. But that only works so long. I know that what I ought to be doing on 20 year old implements or 30 year old tractors is to set aside some time during the off season to go through the whole machine and make it like new. We can do that with good JD & NH & Massey equipment and still end up saving serious money.

rScotty

/ Late Night Hay Baling #15  
Rarely been able to bale at night here. Just too much dampness.

/ Late Night Hay Baling #16  
Rarely been able to bale at night here. Just too much dampness.

The only thing I'll bale at night or early morning is wheat straw in rounds. You need a bit of dew to keep the bales together when rolling. Hard to start a straw bale when the straw is as dry as a popcorn fart...

/ Late Night Hay Baling #17  
Never liked JD balers. I much prefer New Holland but then all I run are New Holland hay tools with the exception of my rake. Again, don't care for side delivery ropers. Prefer a rotary. Running a Morra right now, had a Geihl but sold it. If I won the lottery (doubtful), I'd buy a Kuhn Masterdrive.

Rotary's are in high demand here. Sold the Geihl in 2 days and it was ancient but not much to fail on one so long as you keep the gearbox full of gear oil and grease the driveshaft. Tines got to be an issue but Shoup has always been able to provide a close match.

/ Late Night Hay Baling #18  

Time to upgrade to net wrap. Much quicker dwell time and nicer looking bales that keep better. Cost wise a bit more but feeding a net bale is so much easier too. I run 52 over the edge wrap. Keeps the bales tight and dry.

/ Late Night Hay Baling #19  
I'd love to have a baler with net wrap but I only bale my own hay and this baler works well and is paid for. If I was doing it commercially I'd have one. I can't justify the cost of a new or relatively new used baler. First baler we bought was a new NH 851 back in '82. Floor chains and apron chains. Kept it for ten years.

/ Late Night Hay Baling #20  
I'd love to have a baler with net wrap but I only bale my own hay and this baler works well and is paid for. If I was doing it commercially I'd have one. I can't justify the cost of a new or relatively new used baler. First baler we bought was a new NH 851 back in '82. Floor chains and apron chains. Kept it for ten years.

Think I paid 34 for my NH 450 utility roll belt. It does net and twine and a run by an in cab computer. Works very well. I sell everything I make to one customer and have for the last 5 years. If I lost him (highly unlikely), I get out of the hay business. I really don't like dealing with horsey people.

Cut 4 fields today...100_0015.JPG