Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #141  
Except very often the manufacturer "bundles" a feature one needs with a useless to them feature.
I was specing one of the new Ford Mavericks. One thing I want is a rear sliding window... until recently every truck I've owned had one.
The window is $155... but to get it you first have to buy a package for $690 which consists of a full sized spare plus
• BLIS® with Cross-Traffic Alert
• Lane-Keeping System (Lane-Keeping Aid, Lane-Keeping Alert and Driver Alert System)...

So to get what I want I have to pay more money for items which I would then turn off.
I think I'll buy a used Subaru instead. ;)
They need to charge a monthly fee for people who do not use their turn signals.
I got behind somebody last week who made up for those who don't. He was in an old F250 poking along, and it was downright scary being behind him; he was constantly in the ditch or over the center line and I believe that the front end was probably shot.
I finally found a place to pass and was just pulling out when he put on his left blinker so I slowed again... and he kept on driving. That happened several more times and there was no way I was going to try to get by him. I believe that he was signaling me to pass but that's not what a blinker is for, and when I'm not sure what someone is doing I give them a wide berth.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #142  
I was specing one of the new Ford Mavericks. One thing I want is a rear sliding window... until recently every truck I've owned had one.
The window is $155... but to get it you first have to buy a package for $690 which consists of a full sized spare plus
• BLIS® with Cross-Traffic Alert
• Lane-Keeping System (Lane-Keeping Aid, Lane-Keeping Alert and Driver Alert System)...
Who would need a rear sliding window if you don't have cross traffic alert and lane keeping system to go with it.
I mean, that's the whole purpose of these systems is to support a rear sliding window isn't it? :LOL:

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #144  
Hahaha!! My wife borrowed our spare F150 one day to run an errand. When she got back, she chewed up one side and down the other about either me or my girls losing the gas cap!!! It doesn't have one. Boy, did I have fun with that one!
Wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a cap-less fill. And was a source of multiple trips, under warranty to the dealer. Would get a minor or major EVAP CEL. Remote start will not work with CEL on...

CT

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #145  
Well there is the might go wrong as in "what if the planet opened up and swallowed you"

And then there is the might go wrong that is the kind that has happened so bloody many times before that you see it in the newspapers, hear about from acquaintances, know some who it happened to, and about which there are books written.
Everything exists on a continuum except pregnancy. No one is just a little bit pregnant.

Even Death is on a continuum. here's proof
One of my favorite movies of all time!

CT

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #146  
I don't understand why anyone would even want Onstar anymore. Doesn't a smartphone do everything, and more, then OnStar? Seems to me OnStar is more about monitoring YOU, so they can send you "alerts" to take your car to the dealer for over priced servicing, when they determine it's needed.

My bigger issue is the "dumbing down" of the average American consumer where people can't (or don't) calculate fee's into the price of something. Great examples are the town, municipal, state fee's (e.g. taxes), banking fee's, cell phone fee's, cable TV fee's etc., that get tacked onto the proclaimed "cost".

I'm starting to push back. My bank is my first target. They currently hold 6-digits of my money, but feel compelled to charge me a $30 monthly fee for "services". Next are the "convenience fee's" for paying on-line. Convenient for whom? I can just as easily make them send me a monthly bill, by which I'll snail mail them a check that they then need to process and deposit. Seems to me I should be the one getting a discount for being inconvenienced as I spend my time to pay on-line to save them the of hassle of someone having to process a check, plus they get their money sooner! Am I missing something here?

I guess as I get older, I'm starting to turn into a curmudgeon, because I'm starting to push back on the obvious BS.
I suggest that you use a CU as they are customer owned and are usually more customer friendly. I did have to dump one that I had since 1974 as they became more bank like on fees etc. I will never go back to that one.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #147  
I have OnStar on all our vehicles as I am not always available to go and help out my wife with an automotive issue. Roadside assistance to change a flat, bring fuel if you run out of fuel, jump start a dead battery, and towing up to 25 miles is included. Remote diagnostics is included. I recently used that on our 2008 pickup when the check engine light came on. The advisor ran the diagnostics and told me that it was the cylinder #6 glow plug not working, so driving it wasn't going to cause damage. Plus the crash notification, stolen vehicle locate and shutdown, and remote unlock that most people think about when they hear the word OnStar.
I suppose that I am more fortunate than you. I have Boys that live within 20 miles, trailers, trucks and tools. One of the boys is a certified ASE mechanic with scan tools and is also certified on mid sized truck.
I won't pay extra for OnStar because of our capabilities that we have worked for. I just yesterday took my car trailer to pick up my youngest's truck as his transmission was acting up. Today it is getting ready to be worked on.

We will not be paying any subscriptions for any features on any vehicles in the near future ( 10 years or more ).

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #148  
My 85 Ramcharger has a module behind the glove box whose sole purpose is to turn on the check computer light after so many miles or hours. It was put in so you would have to return to a dealer to turn it off and while you was there, they could sell you service. By the way the truck dont have a computer.
I had to Google this. Checks out. Sneaky bastards!

CT

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #149  
My understanding was just that feature. Mind you, it's the feature that you've paid for, guess you don't own the car, just rent it.
I was watching a review of a Hyundai Ev ( I think it was a Hyundai) not that I would ever buy an electric car mind you. The charging cable was extra, $1,200, the girl doing the review compared it to buying a gas car, with a gas tank but no filler neck.

They may have, even if they did, I bet you dollars to donuts it'll be back
Maybe they've been talking to the John Deere people about HOW to screw people with their 'no individual repairs' contracts. The manufacturers are going insane with this, "If we don't have something new no one will buy our automobiles." Just a bunch of BS to pry money out of customers' pockets.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #150  
Smartphones don't work without data service... which is spotty here.
That is one of my biggest fears; will autos someday become so reliant on external service that they don't run without it?
I can drive 10 miles in any direction and lose cell service; and based on my experience with satellite based services that can also be dicey depending on cloud cover, trees, and hills.
There is usually a period of time allowed before an update is required. That way you can go into and out of service areas.