Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #261  
Or something happens to the signal. I was laying out a harvest block a few years ago, flagging out the 75 foot buffer along a stream. All of a sudden my GPS showed that I was a full 1/2 mile away from where I knew that I was, and nothing that I tried would bring it back to being accurate. It was about noontime on Friday so I took it as a sign from God that it was time to go home.
The following Monday it was accurate again. I don't know if it was sunspot activity throwing the thing off or what.
Could be any number of things. Living in Nevada, I have occasion to drive Nevada Rt 375, otherwise known as the "Extraterrestial Highway" because it skirts Area 51, the government's top secret test facility near Groom Lake. It is not unusual when I drive this road to have the GPS go bonkers, my Sirius/XM radio quit working, etc. Who knows what the jammers around Area 51 can jam?
P1010728e.jpg

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #262  
Sinclair Broadcast Group owns most everything thing on radio.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #264  
Yes, why are other buying in this? Just stop it.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #265  
I live on a rural two lane oil and chip road but there is a four lane road nearby. We have noticed an increase of people shortcutting by our house and some of the roads nearby. Depending on where your going the “shortest route” from gps takes you by our house or other nearby back roads. I get it, there public roads that’s fine but the big rigs are a problem, they can’t make the corners. I talked to the county engineer about putting up “NO THROUGH TRUCKS” signs up. This requires working with the state DOT. In other words nothing is going to happen.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #266  
When driving non interstate in WV, waze goes blank. No signal. When you get to the top of a hill, you might get google maps to show up.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #267  
Yes, why are other buying in this? Just stop it.

Its the oldest marketing strategy in the world. It’s called “preying on people’s fears”.
Works very well. You see it on the nightly “news” with the “world is going to end” nonsense.
The GPS preys upon people who have no sense of direction of more succinctly a fear of being lost.

I think it makes perfect sense for traveling and can be very useful, but also see it’s rooted in the fear of being lost and the useful aspects of being generally safer than looking at a map.

When I was a kid and wanted to go somewhere, I took my junk $1,500 F-350 4x4 and pointed it down the first road that got me going in the right direction and figured it out. Drove to many beach destinations and friends colleges that way. Sure, i got lost a few times, but it all worked out fine.

With the “wussification of America” we also now have a couple generations of people who have no sense of direction.

My wife gets nervous about our daughter driving 450 miles to college and makes sure she has a fully functioning GPS built into her car and phone. I joke around with her and challenge her to drive back to college just by memory, direction (N,S,E,W) and road signage.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #268  
Its the oldest marketing strategy in the world. It’s called “preying on people’s fears”.
Works very well. You see it on the nightly “news” with the “world is going to end” nonsense.
The GPS preys upon people who have no sense of direction of more succinctly a fear of being lost.

I think it makes perfect sense for traveling and can be very useful, but also see it’s rooted in the fear of being lost and the useful aspects of being generally safer than looking at a map.

When I was a kid and wanted to go somewhere, I took my junk $1,500 F-350 4x4 and pointed it down the first road that got me going in the right direction and figured it out. Drove to many beach destinations and friends colleges that way. Sure, i got lost a few times, but it all worked out fine.

With the “wussification of America” we also now have a couple generations of people who have no sense of direction.

My wife gets nervous about our daughter driving 450 miles to college and makes sure she has a fully functioning GPS built into her car and phone. I joke around with her and challenge her to drive back to college just by memory, direction (N,S,E,W) and road signage.
How about someone going east on a highway or interstate told to take exit and go north, but has to ask whether that's left or right turn.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #269  
How about someone going east on a highway or interstate told to take exit and go north, but has to ask whether that's left or right turn.

You mean the ones that can’t read the road sign?
You gotta be smarter than your gps.

I use google maps to check traffic backups and maybe find short bypasses. What a gps suggests may not be the best way.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #270  
Hey.....I represent that :). Unfortunately that's me. I have no sense of direction, I'd get lost in my backyard if I couldn't see the house and unfortunately, my daughter has inherited it from me. I can and have, driven someplace and have to check google to get home :-(......Mike