Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #41  
This new onstar/internet package is not even close to the old one....in fact, the old one is not even supported anymore. People demand more from their vehicles now and that is driving the market. If a car maker charges $500 more for a certain popular paint color, is that greed? No one is forcing you to buy a vehicle.

No, but you're in for a real awakening if you try living without one anywhere other than an urban area; add to that the used market was purposefully gutted by cash for clunkers, of which it never truly recovered, and toss on some inflation and the whole market is a **** show.

Yep, be a smart consumer and buy what you want, not what other's want to sell you.

That only works so long; you know what I can't stand? Being pushed towards small displacement turbo'd engines in trucks, oh and electric vehicles. I don't want these things, and you know what I can do? Stick my opinion up my arse, because apparently that's what that market wants- or maybe it's required to meet standards imposed by our political class.

We don't have a free market anymore, and the opinion of the consumer only goes so far.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #42  
A decade ago it was. One had to be a tech guru. No more Linux Ubuntu is as graphical as windows. You still have the terminal and you can still control everything from it but you also have the GUI.
I picked it up around 2008; played with it. Used it to surf the web, especially those places where before with windows one would come away with a plethora of viruses and trojans. Nothing can touch me now. I haven't bought an antivirus in a very long time & won't.
There are a few cons.
There is no really good engineering CAD CAM software there is some but it's just not as good as the 10-thousand dollar packages meant to run on windows. And the same problem applies to good Accounting software. I'd have expected RedHat to have solved for that latter, but nope.

I'm quoting your post so I remember to look into Ubuntu tomorrow.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #43  
I have OnStar on all our vehicles as I am not always available to go and help out my wife with an automotive issue. Roadside assistance to change a flat, bring fuel if you run out of fuel, jump start a dead battery, and towing up to 25 miles is included. Remote diagnostics is included. I recently used that on our 2008 pickup when the check engine light came on. The advisor ran the diagnostics and told me that it was the cylinder #6 glow plug not working, so driving it wasn't going to cause damage. Plus the crash notification, stolen vehicle locate and shutdown, and remote unlock that most people think about when they hear the word OnStar.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #44  
Every time I hear about these new car remote control / ownership "features", my '86 3WD Vanagon Synchro Westy becomes more valuable to me.
Can't turn the heater seats off remotely, does not have any.
But it will take me dang near anywhere and give me good bed when I get there.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #45  
... Plus the crash notification, stolen vehicle locate and shutdown, and remote unlock that most people think about when they hear the word OnStar.
Do you get an insurance discount for having Onstar that might cancel out the monthly fee?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #47  
I guess I have driven 40+ years and never had remote start. If they block a feature I don't need or want, who cares? I'm not a big fan of the overall concept, but how often do you need remote start?
I thought the same until I had a rental in a cold climate. It’s nice to warm your car up on an extremely cold day. I could take or leave this but the feature I am addicted to is when you don’t have to get the keys out of your pocket to unlock the door. That is an awesome feature!

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #49  
I don't understand why anyone would even want Onstar anymore. Doesn't a smartphone do everything, and more, then OnStar? Seems to me OnStar is more about monitoring YOU, so they can send you "alerts" to take your car to the dealer for over priced servicing, when they determine it's needed.

My bigger issue is the "dumbing down" of the average American consumer where people can't (or don't) calculate fee's into the price of something. Great examples are the town, municipal, state fee's (e.g. taxes), banking fee's, cell phone fee's, cable TV fee's etc., that get tacked onto the proclaimed "cost".

I'm starting to push back. My bank is my first target. They currently hold 6-digits of my money, but feel compelled to charge me a $30 monthly fee for "services". Next are the "convenience fee's" for paying on-line. Convenient for whom? I can just as easily make them send me a monthly bill, by which I'll snail mail them a check that they then need to process and deposit. Seems to me I should be the one getting a discount for being inconvenienced as I spend my time to pay on-line to save them the of hassle of someone having to process a check, plus they get their money sooner! Am I missing something here?

I guess as I get older, I'm starting to turn into a curmudgeon, because I'm starting to push back on the obvious BS.
I went through the same thing with banking until I figured out that there are still banks out there that offer no fee checking and savings accounts, you just have to keep a minimum 10k monthly balance or some form of that, the numbers vary from bank to bank, also if you have a local credit union they are sometimes far better to deal with over chain banks, I still have an account with my local credit union and probably always will, I just have an account with a chain bank because no matter where you go or travel to you can find a branch to get cash or if you have a problem.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #50  
I‘m guessing here and I’ll take my Ford F-150 as an example. They have something called Ford Pass? You put it on your smart phone and can do things on your truck, like remote start, maybe turn on the heated seats for the remote start. It was useless on my truck since it’s an XLT and it’s too low a model for any of that to work.

So are they saying you will have to pay for this app to make it work? Or are they saying to make tge heated seats to work at all you have to pay yearly? I thought the article was a little vague.