Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please,

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please, #1  

Denwa

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B20
Hello grass whackers,
I'm seeking opinions of which brand and or model of towable lawn sweeper anyone would recommend. My grass is frequently damp when I cut it and using a mower mounted bagger has been an infuriating pain in the neck, knee, hand, etc. This includes a bagger with a blower. Moot point now, cuz my current mower did not come with a bagger.

My bro in law says he's had very good luck with a tow behind sweeper, after letting the grass dry for a day or two. He borrows a sweeper from a neighbor. Unfortunately I have no such neighbor and will have to purchase a sweeper if I go that route.

So, if you please, who's had good experience with what brand and model of tow behind lawn sweepers? Don't have much of a leaf issue as I have mostly evergreens around my yard. Thinking mostly of a wheel driven model, not a engine powered one, unless you can convince me otherwise ($$$). Would use the thing mostly to collect clippings for composting or to clean the lawn before having company over so the clippings aren't tracked into the house.

Any hot tips on using same also appreciated.

Regards,
Dennis

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please, #2  
I bought a Craftsman sweeper 10 years ago, it's a 42" wide unit with 8:1 gearing. Not sure who makes it, but it has held up very well (I beat the heck out of it). If I know I am going to be making a lot of clippings (for instance, mowing tall grass after a vacation or something) I will drag it behind the tractor while mowing. It does a great job. I also use it after thatching the lawn every fall, to sweep up the thatch. It's a lifesaver for that.

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please,
I bought a Craftsman sweeper 10 years ago, it's a 42" wide unit with 8:1 gearing. Not sure who makes it, but it has held up very well (I beat the heck out of it). If I know I am going to be making a lot of clippings (for instance, mowing tall grass after a vacation or something) I will drag it behind the tractor while mowing. It does a great job. I also use it after thatching the lawn every fall, to sweep up the thatch. It's a lifesaver for that.

s219,
Thanks for the reply. Craftsman stuff is generally quite serviceable, but who actually made any particular item is hard to figure as just about anything they sell is subcontracted/re-branded, and might not be the same maker year to year. But, good lead none the less.

The data in your post is most helpful, particularly the concept of just towing the thing behind as you mow. Duh.... Makes a world of sense to sweep what will be swept as you go and if needed, come back for the rest later. My only issue with a general towing behind mode would be that
the sweeper would likely not fit through some spaces that the 38" mower deck will. Sweepers likely come less wide, but then, wider would generally be much more efficient. I could easily work with the wider sweeper, just have to remember it's back there ;' >

Though leaves are not a big issue for me, I do get some. How does your sweeper work on leaves? Also, how on twigs and general small yard debris?

Thanks again,
Dennis

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please,

s219,
Thanks for the reply. Craftsman stuff is generally quite serviceable, but who actually made any particular item is hard to figure as just about anything they sell is subcontracted/re-branded, and might not be the same maker year to year. But, good lead none the less.

The data in your post is most helpful, particularly the concept of just towing the thing behind as you mow. Duh.... Makes a world of sense to sweep what will be swept as you go and if needed, come back for the rest later. My only issue with a general towing behind mode would be that
the sweeper would likely not fit through some spaces that the 38" mower deck will. Sweepers likely come less wide, but then, wider would generally be much more efficient. I could easily work with the wider sweeper, just have to remember it's back there ;' >

Though leaves are not a big issue for me, I do get some. How does your sweeper work on leaves? Also, how on twigs and general small yard debris?

Thanks again,
Dennis

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please, #5  
Ahhh, I know this answer since I faced a similar problem. I bought a Brinly (brand) from a Home Depot and it works great. I use it in grass that I cut in the AM and rake after a few hours to dry. This is the same company that makes the Deere sweeper and it is obvious by comparison. The price was a little more than average.
There is also a super duty Parker brand that is 3 or 4 times the price and it is the Cadillac of sweepers. They turn up at yard sales every now and then.

Brinly-Hardy 42" Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper

Mine does not have the de-thatch function.

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please, #6  
...There is also a super duty Parker brand that is 3 or 4 times the price and it is the Cadillac of sweepers. They turn up at yard sales every now and then...

Wow, I hadn't heard of 'em before, but I like 'em. I could go for something like this simply for the width:

ESTATE MASTERョ TURF SWEEPER - MESH BOTTOM

I have heard mentioned a number of times that the Ingersoll sweeper is a darn good one too. It's towed "backwards", but that somehow makes it work better, again according to what I've heard.

Ingersoll Attachments

My only experience using one was a Craftsman borrowed from my stepson. I don't know what model it was. It worked okay, but the thing I disliked was that you could not fill it any more than halfway before grass started being drawn back into the brush and subsequently deposited back onto the lawn. Don't know if all sweeper behave that way or not.

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please, #7  
Wow, I hadn't heard of 'em before, but I like 'em. I could go for something like this simply for the width:

ESTATE MASTERョ TURF SWEEPER - MESH BOTTOM

Yeah, I could go for one too but that flushed look will vanish when you see the price. Just a guess cause I'm out of touch on this but I'd bet the item pictured is $2,000, give or take. Just a guess.

EDIT---Oh, silly me with that guess...it's actually $3,600.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PARKER-Lawn-Sweeper-13V369
How many do you want now?

/ Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please, #8  
   / Lawn Sweeper, Tow Behind, mostly for damp grass grass - reccomendations please, #9  
Have you considered using a blower on those clippings? I got rid of my bagger assy. and use a backpack blower. Blow them into a pile, or blow them into the woods.

Have you considered using a blower on those clippings? I got rid of my bagger assy. and use a backpack blower. Blow them into a pile, or blow them into the woods.

1B2H,
Interesting concept, and I just don't see that working for me, but in the spirit of things I'll give at least an experimental try with the electric blower I use to blow the fir needles off my driveway. Seems as if it would be a lot of work. Wonder what the tree frogs that hang out in the grass will think about it.

Thanks,
Dennis