Lawn tractor - loss of power

/ Lawn tractor - loss of power #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
My Husqvarna lawn tractor/mower (YTH2042T-960450002) has significantly reduced power. It does not have its usual speed in the same circumstances and will not go up the same slight inclines that it used to handle with ease - actually it used to easily go up greater inclines - now slight inclines present a problem - slows and stops. Blade still engages. It has a Kohler Courage 20 engine. Oil fine, air filter fine. I think it is about 12+ years old.

I thought it might be the drive belt (maybe old and slipping) so I changed that out but it still lacks power. The only other thing I can think of to add is that when I back off the pedal and reengage I have just a bit more power but only for a brief moment - not unlike my Kubota hydrostatic tractor.

Looking for help. Any suggestions?

/ Lawn tractor - loss of power #2  
Have a JDX300 that had a similar problem. Turned out to be a valve adjustment issue causing one cylinder not to run. If yours is a V Twin with OHV, you might want to look into adjusting the valves.

/ Lawn tractor - loss of power #3  
Is the lack of power engine or hydrostatic drive. Suspect hydrostatic drive since you mentioned changing the belt.

Is your hydrostatic drive a sealed unit or is there a place to check oil level?

I believe there a long post on rebuilding a hydrostatic drive but not 100 percent sure on title. Maybe search for rebuilding K46.

/ Lawn tractor - loss of power
Thanks Diggin It, My engine is a 20 hp with OHV and I believe is a twin cylinder engine, so that may be it. I will check that out. Thanks for responding.

Update: It is a single cylinder engine.

Last edited:
Is the lack of power engine or hydrostatic drive. Suspect hydrostatic drive since you mentioned changing the belt.

Is your hydrostatic drive a sealed unit or is there a place to check oil level?

I believe there a long post on rebuilding a hydrostatic drive but not 100 percent sure on title. Maybe search for rebuilding K46.

oldnslo, sorry, but unfortunately I am not savvy enough about engines to be sure of my answers.

I don't know if the loss of power is the engine or something else. The only oil level check (dip stick) is for the engine oil - at least that is all I can find. I am now searching for a manual for that engine. I have a complete file from when I bought it but misplaced it when we remodeled. Still looking.

I replaced the drive belt because I thought the loss of power I was experiencing might have been a worn or stretched belt as I don't recall ever changing it before and the the unit is old. The precisely same lack of power issue was experienced before and after the drive belt change.

It has been a great tractor - old but only 460 hours (assuming the meter is correct) on it.

Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.

/ Lawn tractor - loss of power #6  
My Husqvarna lawn tractor/mower (YTH2042T-960450002) has significantly reduced power. It does not have its usual speed in the same circumstances and will not go up the same slight inclines that it used to handle with ease - actually it used to easily go up greater inclines - now slight inclines present a problem - slows and stops. Blade still engages. It has a Kohler Courage 20 engine. Oil fine, air filter fine. I think it is about 12+ years old.

I thought it might be the drive belt (maybe old and slipping) so I changed that out but it still lacks power. The only other thing I can think of to add is that when I back off the pedal and reengage I have just a bit more power but only for a brief moment - not unlike my Kubota hydrostatic tractor.
Looking for help. Any suggestions?
That momentary burst of power indicate's a properly operating governor so don't try and adjust the governor. The problem sound's like a simple throttle cable adjustment might fix it. With engine off,remove air cleaner and anything else that block's access to carburator. Put throttle to full speed position (engine still off) then look to see if tthrottle wire is kinked between cable clamp and butterfly leaver. If wire isn't kinked, loosen screw on carb that clamp's cable. Slide cable housing until there's resistance,slide back slightly and tighten screw. That "slide back slightly" is to prevent kinking cable at full throttle operation. Do not stretch,bend or move governor spring to a different hole. Post back. If that;s not the problem,we will take another step.

/ Lawn tractor - loss of power #7  
I will rephrase my question
When you press on the pedal to drive forward does the engine lose RPM and stall or does the tractor just not move or move slowly with no ability to climb a slope?

/ Lawn tractor - loss of power #8  
Looking at the tractor model it has a hydrostatic drive and I would suspect what is the issue. Had a JD that did the same thing, ran fine but would not go up any incline. Ended up needing a transmission but would likely be more cost effective to get a new lawn tractor.

I will rephrase my question
When you press on the pedal to drive forward does the engine lose RPM and stall or does the tractor just not move or move slowly with no ability to climb a slope?

oldnslo, it just does not move or moves very slowly with no ability to climb a slope. It seems to run fine otherwise, and on level ground it runs fine though perhaps a bit slower than before.

hube2, thank you for responding. I cannot recall when I bought this, but the engine states it was manufactured in 2005. So, assuming I bought it near that year it is a bit old and maybe a new one is in order.