Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #1  

drumminj

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Might not be the right sub-forum for this, but hoping this works as a general "catch all"...

Just finished seeding and strawing the lawn for our house build (hope to close/move in in 3 weeks or so). Doing it all by hand, I'm well aware of how much lawn I'm going to have to mow in the future. Clearly not going to do it with the 6' bush hog or push mower + string trimmer...

All in all, I'll have about 1.5 - 2 acres of "yard" to maintain with this mower (I have a bush hog I use for our 5 acres of pasture). Don't intend to keep it like a golf course, just mowed to keep weeds/saplings at bay, and keep ticks and snakes away from the house. Ground is still pretty rough - quite a few stumps from forrestry mulching and felling trees to clear, and terracing from long-ago agricultural use. Not terribly steep, but am in middle TN with rolling hills and we do have slopes in part of the "yard" (maybe 15-20 degrees?). We've kept a larger # of mature trees around (as well as a 1/10th acre pond) so have a number of obstacles to work around.

My question: Anyone have guidance on whether a zero-turn mower (looking at something like a Scag Patriot or LibertyZ) or lawn tractor (like Kubota T2290 or Deere X384) would be a better fit?

My instinct is for the lawn tractor, but hesitate for two reasons: 1) the lower center of gravity of the ZT I assume would be better for side-hill mowing of our slopes and 2) The lawn tractors don't appear to come with ROPS/offer them as an option, where the ZT mowers do.

Would appreciate any insights or guidance y'all might have!

ETA: Cleaned up some details. Also want to add my budget is in the $6k-8k range

Last edited:
   / Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
Oops, I guess the 'Lawn and Garden Equipment' subforum would have been more appropriate! Any mod available to move this for me?

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #3  
So 2 acres lawn, 5 pasture? I would want a 48-60" zero turn to knock out the 2 acres in 30 minutes or so, and the occasional 5 acres mow in maybe 1.5-2 hours. There is nothing fast on a traditional lawn mower.
As far as sticking to slopes, opinions vary. I'm good to about 20-25 degrees on my Kubota ZD mowers.

I have a 72" bush hog for the pasture so the question here is just about managing the ~2 acres (though if the new purchase mows better/faster, I may use it for the pasture also)

"There is nothing fast on a traditional lawn mower"

I don't have experience with either, but the specs seem close on the ZT and the lawn tractor. The T2290 has a 14" turning radius and maxes at 6.7mph. The Scag LibertyZ maxes at 7mph, per their marketing literature. So ground speed seems identical -- only difference I can imagine would be the turning radius then, when working around obstacles?

And I'm looking at 48" - 52" deck width.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #5  
I live on middle TN hillside farm with 18 degree slope in one area (haven't measured others).

Cub Cadet ZTS1 50" rider Kohler engine $5099 no ROPS Cub Cadet Ultima ZTS1 50 Zero-Turn Mower | Cub Cadet US

Cub Cadet Pro Z 60" commercial series, ROPS, Kawasaki engine, upgraded pumps $15,539. Pro Z 960L KW | Commercial Zero Turn Mower | Cub Cadet US

Power Trac PT425 4wd articulating tractor that accepts a wide variety of front attachments like residential mower, brush mower, grapple, you name it....$15,900 + shipping. T8 Class Moss Road is the resident expert at TBN.

I live on middle TN hillside farm with 18 degree slope in one area (haven't measured others).

Cub Cadet ZTS1 50" rider Kohler engine $5099 no ROPS Cub Cadet Ultima ZTS1 50 Zero-Turn Mower | Cub Cadet US

Cub Cadet Pro Z 60" commercial series, ROPS, Kawasaki engine, upgraded pumps $15,539. Pro Z 960L KW | Commercial Zero Turn Mower | Cub Cadet US

Power Trac PT425 4wd articulating tractor that accepts a wide variety of front attachments like residential mower, brush mower, grapple, you name it....$15,900 + shipping. T8 Class Moss Road is the resident expert at TBN.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm mostly curious to hear pros/cons of the different types of mowers, but I suppose I should throw budget out here as well to avoid wasting anyone's time. Looking to be in the $6k-$8k range, though would be happy to spend less :)

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #7  
We have 2 acres grass and about 2 acres rough former forest - have a Cub Cadet 48" Garden Tractor - took 3 hours + to cut it all. Got a Ferris 52" in 2010 and that cut mowing time to 1.5 hours - it has full suspension and handles rough ground really well.

Sitll have the CC - its used for hauling wood, sprayer, etc. no comparison get a ZT and one with suspension system - the Simplicity Line are essentially Ferris - liek het Cobalt with a 52' and Kawasaki engine is $10K range. You can get less expensive machines - but $6-7K is what you need to spend to get a decent ZT.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #8  
Since you already have a tractor, have you considered a RFM?

Since you already have a tractor, have you considered a RFM?

IMO the L4701 is too big for mowing around the house and navigating all the trees. Plus the girlfriend isn't as comfortable running it.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #10  
Basic ZTR $3,800 has swivel front wheels. Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 50 Zero-Turn Mower | Cub Cadet US It's difficult to hold them straight on a hillside. These have a 15 degree slope rating.

The fixed front wheels on the ZTS take care of that issue and that's why they have a 20 degree slope rating. This one has a Kawaski engine, but still no ROPS. Ultima Series™ ZT - Zero-Turn Mowers | Cub Cadet US

Seems like the ZTX series is the lowest priced model that offers a ROPs and kawsaki engine in that series, is $9,000. Ultima ZTX6 54 Zero-Turn Mower | Cub Cadet US

You'd think they would be on sale with the summer mowing season ending, but these aren't discounted prices.

Tractorhouse has some listings for used mowers, but not every dealer goes to the trouble of listing their mowers for sale.