lawn vacuum options????

/ lawn vacuum options???? #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
Considering lawn vacuums for an X739. Looking PECO Pro 3 bagger, Protero PV18, Trac Vac 662, and John Deere's OEM offering. Do not want a trailer, or anything with wheels. So, either 3 pt mount or click n go. I don't have a rear PTO. Web sites of mfrs are confusing with respect for how/if they have models to fit my tractor. Any opinions on the vacuums? They all seem over priced.

I have an old craftsman 2 wheel swiveler, 2 can model, that works pretty well. I'm considering upgrading it to a bigger motor and putting on a carry all 3pt hitch mount. Maybe this is the best options? Certainly the cheapest. I'm guessing I'd need a deck adapter, and because it's a 6", an 8 to 6" reducer (vacuum) is 6". And maybe some new hose. Probably can be done for $400 or so. The capacity is a little small, but I've been using it to satisfaction as a tow behind for about 10 years now. What do you think?

/ lawn vacuum options???? #2  
I have three Trac-Vacs.

Two have wheels for support, and one is free floating that I used on the back of my Dixie Chopper.

You could easily use a 5 or 8 HP motor for the vac.

Good hose without ridging on the inside is about $5 to $6 a ft.

/ lawn vacuum options???? #3  
Just grind them up and leave them. That's what I've always done.

Ralph

/ lawn vacuum options???? #4  
Sounds like you know more about it than anyone here ?

/ lawn vacuum options????
Sounds like you know more about it than anyone here ?

Yeah. Either no one knows or no one cares. Equal amount of silence from the dealers too, even Mutton hasn't answered back. I think that Karma just wants me to refurb the one I have.

/ lawn vacuum options???? #6  
Yeah. Either no one knows or no one cares. Equal amount of silence from the dealers too, even Mutton hasn't answered back. I think that Karma just wants me to refurb the one I have.

Why not the MC 519? Mine handles well behind the x749 and is very quick to hook up. I mulch most of the time but when I need to vacuum it is very handy and has a much better capacity than the bag types I had prior to it.

Why not the MC 519? Mine handles well behind the x749 and is very quick to hook up. I mulch most of the time but when I need to vacuum it is very handy and has a much better capacity than the bag types I had prior to it.

I don't want a tow behind cart. leaf season is usually wet, and the carts add too much wear and tear to the lawn. Plus, almost all are longer. Longer is not good for me. Too many nooks to get into. I can live with smaller capacity if it buys me the shortest, near-zero foot print possible. The JD systems seem to fit the bill except for suction and mulching. Price for what you get isn't that great either.

/ lawn vacuum options???? #8  
I have a MC 519 behind my JD 425 and have used it for years. It does a good job and doesn't tear up the lawn. If the lawn is that wet I want to wait anyway as it's difficult to get up wet leaves. The MC cart is very short and the weight is shared betwen the rear castor wheels and the mower. Since it holds about 18 bushels then I can get a lot of leaves in it before dumping. I can dump from the seat so that's a HUGH thing to me. My neighboors often hire my son in the fall to collect their leaves using my mower and MC. The cart is short and rides directly behind the seat.

I live in Maryland, we get plenty of rain. No problem waiting for the leaves to dry.

I have a MC 519 behind my JD 425 and have used it for years. It does a good job and doesn't tear up the lawn. If the lawn is that wet I want to wait anyway as it's difficult to get up wet leaves. The MC cart is very short and the weight is shared betwen the rear castor wheels and the mower. Since it holds about 18 bushels then I can get a lot of leaves in it before dumping. I can dump from the seat so that's a HUGH thing to me. My neighboors often hire my son in the fall to collect their leaves using my mower and MC. The cart is short and rides directly behind the seat.

I live in Maryland, we get plenty of rain. No problem waiting for the leaves to dry.

A tow behind is out of the question. If I were going JD, I'd just go the 14 bushel with the quick dump accessory. Capacity isn't an issue for me. Length and turf damage are. Weather and soil in southern MD are drastically different than up here in Carroll county. And I seldom have the luxury to pick when I can get up leaves.

/ lawn vacuum options???? #10  
All the manufacturers that you are contemplating are top notch. The JD powerflow might be the least satisfying if the leaf volume is high. I sometimes have high volume leaves with my X739 HC60 powerflow and I’m a bit underwhelmed. I think the HC deck out performs the powerflow. Trac-Vac and Peco have pony motors,I believe, adding horsepower which is nice with high leaf volume.
I once had a Protero Estate blower on an exmark homeowner unit. (48 inch deck). It worked great but was difficult to install and remove from the deck.
I don’t know if the newer, more commercial styled ones are better nor do I know if they do well with a large deck.
Currently I am using a Peco with a 50 cubic foot cart and 9hp Subi pony motor. It works fine. I have 12, one hundred year old oaks on my half acre!!! UGH.
GJSnow