leaking backhoe hose

/ leaking backhoe hose #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have a Kubota bx25d, with about 230 hours on the clock. Recently I noticed that hydraulic fluid is leaking from something around the backhoe valve block, and accumulating on the horizontal surface below it. It happens only when I am operating the backhoe, not if I am just driving the tractor or operating the loader. Of course, I suspected a loose hose fitting, so I tightened all of them. None were obviously loose, and the extra tightening did not solve the problem. Some of the hoses are wet, but even after drying them off, I can't isolate the culprit, or even be sure that it is just a loose connection. Could anyone give me some suggestions?

/ leaking backhoe hose #2  
If you have access to a pressure washer, preferably one with a soap add option, wash it down first with a good degreaser/water, then plain water - put a good fan on it til everything is bone dry, then start it up, wiggle the hoe levers BRIEFLY, kill it and look for wet spots.

That should narrow things down a bit.

When I'm looking for something like that, my first suspect (after what you did) is quick disconnects, then ANY pipe threads (hate 'em) then hoses (especially if they're old), then hard lines.

HTH... Steve

/ leaking backhoe hose
Thank you. That sounds like a good organized strategy. I will try it!

/ leaking backhoe hose #4  
Sooo, didja find your leak??!?... Steve

/ leaking backhoe hose
Yes! Your advice worked like a charm. I cleaned it off with a pressure washer, let it dry, then ran it a little. Turned out to be a screw fitting coming out of the block, after all. A little extra tightening did the job. It was hard to fit a wrench in among the forest of hoses, which probabky explains why i didn't tightten it enough the first time. Thank you!

/ leaking backhoe hose #6  
Glad to help - I love it when a plan works :thumbsup: ...Steve