Leaking log splitter cylinder

/ Leaking log splitter cylinder #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I have a question for you hydraulic experts out there: my neighbor has loaned me his old gas powered hydraulic log splitter, a rather large 30 ton unit. It works great, and the old Briggs and Stratton engine starts easily and sips gas- all good. But, the ram cylinder leaks fluid, a little constantly (not enough to really concern me- a gallon will refill it after scores of hours of use) but now I notice that whenever I run the ram all the way out, I get a significant gush of oil. I try not to go all the way, but sometimes you can't see the ram for the wood, and accidents happen. I am thinking about trying to replace the seals, but I wonder what I will be dealing with when I open it up? I don't want to invest serious money in it, since it isn't mine. I do change the engine oil after I borrow it, and I had to seal the leaking plastic gas tank this season where it had gotten a small gash (not from my use...)
Thanks for any enlightenment!

/ Leaking log splitter cylinder
Identifying the cylinder will be the challenge! I can't find any marking on it, and the splitter is decal and label free- probably 15 + years old.
thanks for the link- it may just make sense to take it to a repair shop that has the seals for misc. hydraulics and so forth.

/ Leaking log splitter cylinder #4  
If you can break the cylinder cap threads lose with it still in the machine t may make your life easier. Once that’s done, pull it off and take it to a shop- they may just sell you the parts- if that’s what you want.