Lean too on Pole Barn

/ Lean too on Pole Barn #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
I just had a guy leave who's gonna give me a quote with materials and time and labor broken out to add a 12' deep by 40' long lean too onto my existing board and batten pole barn.

I was originally thinking about having someone sink the posts for it and me doing the rest of the work - it's pretty simple - so I thought... then the guy started talking about how the rafters for the pole barn go up into the fascia and soffit area of the existing barn and get "notched" onto the header that carries the roof trusses and nailed to the trusses...

Anyone have any pictures of this?

Relevance disclaimer for this forum: I plan on storing all my tractor implements and the tractor under this structure... and I might use the FEL on the tractor to help build the structure...

/ Lean too on Pole Barn #2  
theres a thread floating around about a guy that had a barn built last winter and the contractor totally FUBAR'd it. He took lots of pics of the shotty work (he did endup getting it fixed)

but in those shots there are a couple of really good closesups on how they tied the framing for the leanto in.

/ Lean too on Pole Barn #3  
I added this 10 ft leanto to my 24X36 pole barn last summer.

I used 4X4 treated posts on 4 ft centers. The rafters are 2X8 and the 2X4 roof battens are 20 inches apart. The 2X4 wall battens are 30 inches apart.

Since lean to's can get significant uplift wind forces during a storm, here is a special lift resistant metal bracket (see pic) that I used to screw many of the the rafters into the header and down into the 6x6 treated posts underneath (they are also on 4 ft centers). The original pole barn had a 1 foot overhang so that made things a little easier to get the roof metal lined up and overlapped correctly. I put soffit up to keep the birds out of the barn.

I did it all myself except for my wife helping me to hold the wall metal up while I attached it. I didn't even need to use a loader for the framing, I just parked a hay wagon under the area I was working on.

I only wish I would have gone with 12 ft instead of 10 feet wide. You should go with 2X10 rafters since you probably get plenty of snow.

Attachments

• leanto3.jpg
    leanto3.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 4,722
  • leanto3 (1).jpg
    leanto3 (1).jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 4,359
  • leanto3 (2).jpg
    leanto3 (2).jpg
    322 KB · Views: 7,952