Learning about the stock market

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Learning about the stock market #42  
there is a sale going on. Time to buy !
If tractor prices dropped this by much, everyone would be buying a new tractor tomorrow !:laughing:

/ Learning about the stock market
I reread this thread so thank you to everyone who posted.

Someone said to not try and time the market. Why not, I know what I'm doing now! :laughing:

For every "smart guy" that says we are headed for a recession, there is someone else who says we aren't.

I feel like we are but..

I'm trying to help my mom decide what to do with some accumulating cash. She's been purchasing CD's. I tend to think that is a good idea thinking we are headed for a correction. When they mature reinvesting in stocks or mutual funds in a down market would be nice.

/ Learning about the stock market #44  
there is a sale going on. Time to buy !
If tractor prices dropped this by much, everyone would be buying a new tractor tomorrow !:laughing:

I'm continuing to short indexes via HDGE and long mREITs the mREITs are somewhat protected via puts, but not completely and I'm not long enough HDGE in order to maintain a war chest of cash. This still feels October 2007ish to me. It wasn't until Bear Sterns blew up in 2008 when everybody started accepting that we were in a bear market and then when Leman Brothers (old Salomon brothers) needed a 24-hour loan, Tim, then president of the NEW York Fed office, was under so much political pressure for bailing out Bear and he blinked. Except nearly every public pension in the nation held Leman bonds insured by AIG and for this reason we fell into the Great Recession and AIG paid out 100% on the bond through a GovCo guarantee.

/ Learning about the stock market #45  
You learn more from losing than you do from winning. This month has been very educational.

/ Learning about the stock market #47  
I think that we all knew that we were in for an adjustment; how it's handled will determine what happens down the road. What irritates me is how much the media can manipulate people's emotions. Earlier this week the headlines read "Stock market hits all time low" but when you read the article it says "For 2018."
I've got most of my 401k in a money market, with only this years contributions in bonds or a couple of Vanguard funds; when I put a dollar in I want to see my account go up by that much.

/ Learning about the stock market #48  
The only thing you need to know about the stock market is, index fund or don't play. :)

/ Learning about the stock market #49  
There’s nothing lost until you sell.
I wish that you had told me that last year. :D
When a local paper mill came out of bankruptcy I bought 10 shares at about 12 bucks per; more to support them as they buy wood from us than to make money. Everyone told me that I was crazy and as the price quickly dropped to $6.00 I thought they were right; I cut my losses and bailed. The last time I looked they were up around $28.00 and are expanding the mill. I wish that instead of selling I had bought 20 more for that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.