Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower?

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Wondering how many just leave the covers, on each side of the finishing mower, off altogether? It is very difficult to get the grass etc out from under the covers, even with a large air compressor to feed the blow gun. I finally just took them off of my 5' bush hog brand finishing mower. It stays under a shed, so no problem with rusting etc...just a pain in the butt for grass removal! I'm not going to get near the moving belt on the mower. :eek:

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #2  
leaf blower can work much better than an air compressor + air gun attachment.

i like to be able to see the pulley for the blades, and make sure they are spinning, more so when cutting tall grass / weeds. so i can stop and move a clump of grass vs burning up a belt.

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #3  
Yes I tried the leaf blower and works great. I will take the covers off and also try it that way.

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #4  
My covers are quick and easy to remove. I am looking into making a skirt for the front edge to keep the clippings from blowing out from under the deck and getting on top of the deck.

Leaf blower does a good job cleaning the whole tractor and mower after work.

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower?
My covers have to have 4 bolts removed per side, so it is a little bit of a pain to put on/off. I think I'll just leave them off until I'm done for the season and then replace them. It makes it easier to grease the spindles too. I have a leaf blower, hadn't ever thought about using it...hmmmm.

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #6  
just be careful !!! when shields come off = good chance to loose foot, or worse death if it drags you down below wheels of tractor.

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #7  
No covers on the 6' front deck finish mower. Easy to see if the belts slip. Easy to clean with the electric leaf blower.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P5300003.JPG
    P5300003.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 479
  • P5300010.JPG
    P5300010.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 385
  • P5300019.JPG
    P5300019.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 396
   / Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #8  
I took my covers off my 60" front deck as well. Only four bolts on each cover, but the leaf blower won't blow out well under the cover. So off they came. I just be sure and shut off the mower and tractor each time I get off of it.

/ Leaving covers off of Finishing Mower? #9  
I leave covers off lots of stuff if it makes my life easier. And I clean all mowers after using them. But I feel that the accumulation of grass and possible branches may destroy my expensive belts, so I leave the deck covers on. I remove the covers only at end of season and usually find not too much stuff in there.