Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now?

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #11  
I wouldn't worry about it, chances are if it is off any from that it might be a percent or two tops... checking them on a bolt isn't a great way to test as the breakaway torque is harder than the rotational torque unless you have some clutch or something... best to compare against a beam style wrench if checking a clicker...

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #12  
If you need to get your torque wrench certified annually and have a NIST certificate then yes you "may" have an issue. Otherwise no.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #13  
Check at your local airport for an aircraft repair station. They will have their wrenches checked at least annually, by a roving tech. Throw your wrench(s) into the stack to be checked.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #14  
Don’t give it a 2nd thought..
Torque away..

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #15  
If really despirate you can put a bolt in vice and set torque wrench to a value about mid scale and use a small digital scales to get a reading where it clicks...

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #16  
I'm the go to guy around here for ring and pinion set up. I have wanted an inch pound wrench. Most times I don't use a torque wrench on the pinion nut. But still, I'd like to get right.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #17  
Like others have mentioned, clamp the head in a vice, and use a digital scale (I have a luggage scale) to see if it's off, or not.

If it's off, open it up and add a spacer between the spring and the adjuster, then re-test. I calibrated my 20-120(ish) ft-lb torque wrench this way.

something like this: (mine doesn't have the fancy adjustment; I had to add a washer to take up the extra space)

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #18  
When I needed to torque something yesterday I was shocked to learn I left my inch lb torque wrench set on 108 inch lbs from it's last use of two months ago. It's a Husky brand I got it at Lowe's. Did I screw up my torque wrench by leaving it set?

Get your torque wrench calibrated or purchase a new one. Also, look into the split beam style of toque wrench that will not screw up when left on a torque setting. The split beam style is what I use for 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4" torque settings, with quarter-inch getting either a dial indicating or a very good scroll-style torque wrench and 1" getting the air gun.

That said, all torque wrenches need to be calibrated from time to time, and in aviation, calibration is an absolute requirement.

IMG_2713.JPG

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #19  
As long as we’re telling stories..
I worked at a fuel injection manufacturing plant.. I took along my SNAP-ON torque wrenchs.. although they were furnished, I didn’t like the quality of them..
All the torque wrenchs were recalibrated 1/4 lee by the QC dept..
MINE was the ONLY ONE that never had to be readjusted in the 3 years I worked there. (SNAP-ON 3/8 & 1/2 drive)

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #20  
I imagine most of yall are just working on engines and junk so who cares

If your working on something major like aircraft, it's out of service. I could go on and on about proper torque wrench use but most people do pretty minor things with them