Left SIde Steering Hose Leaking and Steering Wheel Removal Help

/ Left SIde Steering Hose Leaking and Steering Wheel Removal Help #1  

kenb1023

Silver Member
Tractor
2019 Cub Cadet XT1 and 2010 TYM T293
Nothing like the spring to bring out issues with the tractor. I developed a leak in the left side steering hose just above where it connects to the steering ram. So I tried to look up the part number for a new hose. 13185103400 1170 mm and came up with nothing. So first question, does anyone have a part number that will work or should I just take the hose to a hydraulic shop and have them make me a new one. Second question. What is the best way to pull the steering wheel off? A conventional puller doesn't seem to work. It just pulls on the rubber casing.

/ Left SIde Steering Hose Leaking and Steering Wheel Removal Help
Ok, update. Trails West Tractor in Benson AZ (Love these guys) gave me the trick to pulling the steering wheel. First, spray Liquid Wrench or equivalent on the shaft and let set. I used PB Blaster. Use a brass punch (I did not have one but had a brass mallet instead), loosen the retaining nut almost all the way off. Sit in the seat and place knees under the steering wheel and give some upward pressure, place the brass punch (Remember I am using a brass mallet) on the top of the steering shaft and whack it hard with a small sledge or hammer (I used a dead blow hammer). Three hits and the wheel popped off. As a side note, using the brass mallet made this much easier for me as I have a bad left wrist and holding the handle of the mallet seemed better anyways. Trails West also cautioned me on pulling the hydraulic hose off. Never turn the steering wheel with a hose off. It will mess up the system and you will end up with a bigger $$$$ repair. Has something to do with the timing of the veins in the steering pump. I didn't fully understand but I know not to turn the wheel.

/ Left SIde Steering Hose Leaking and Steering Wheel Removal Help #3  
kenb1023, I think your best bet for the hose is take it off and to a hydraulic shop (I use my local NAPA store) and get a new one made. Just pay attention to the fittings so you get the correct size/thread. One of my loader hoses had a reducer on one end and the two fittings were different. Napa fixed it just fine and it was a fast fix.

As to the steering wheel, I posted that same question several years ago and got a detailed response from Marty (whom hasn't been posting for quite awhile since the Covid 19 attack - Hope you're OK Marty!).

Basically I used a 3-jawed puller wrapped with wire around the steering wheel, (not a pretty sight I assure you) a lot of penetrating fluid and time to soak in real well, a rap with a large hammer to jar it loose and then it came off. Use never-seize when putting it back on and it will be much easier to remove next time. There are relays on the backside of the inner steering wheel housing that you will "eventually" need to address; so once the wheel is off - make it much easier for the next time.
Good luck, Greg

kenb1023, I think your best bet for the hose is take it off and to a hydraulic shop (I use my local NAPA store) and get a new one made. Just pay attention to the fittings so you get the correct size/thread. One of my loader hoses had a reducer on one end and the two fittings were different. Napa fixed it just fine and it was a fast fix.

As to the steering wheel, I posted that same question several years ago and got a detailed response from Marty (whom hasn't been posting for quite awhile since the Covid 19 attack - Hope you're OK Marty!).

Basically I used a 3-jawed puller wrapped with wire around the steering wheel, (not a pretty sight I assure you) a lot of penetrating fluid and time to soak in real well, a rap with a large hammer to jar it loose and then it came off. Use never-seize when putting it back on and it will be much easier to remove next time. There are relays on the backside of the inner steering wheel housing that you will "eventually" need to address; so once the wheel is off - make it much easier for the next time.
Good luck, Greg
Thanks for the advice on the hose. How much of PIA was it to get the axle end off. Does not seem to much room down there to swing a wrench

/ Left SIde Steering Hose Leaking and Steering Wheel Removal Help #5  
I can't answer for the steering hose; I've not had to monkey with mine - yet. Thanks for posting the advice about the steering wheel itself....I didn't know that you are not to turn the wheel if a hose is off and had no idea it would mess up any kind of timing. Now I do! Good advice!

I sure do know what you mean about not much room to swing a wrench! When I replaced my water pump I took the entire radiator out so I'd have lots of room. Getting those 10mm bolts that hold the shroud on - back in - was a tricky job!! Of course they came out very easily, not so getting them back in on the alternator side of the engine. Took some time but was successful - finally.

I can't answer for the steering hose; I've not had to monkey with mine - yet. Thanks for posting the advice about the steering wheel itself....I didn't know that you are not to turn the wheel if a hose is off and had no idea it would mess up any kind of timing. Now I do! Good advice!

I sure do know what you mean about not much room to swing a wrench! When I replaced my water pump I took the entire radiator out so I'd have lots of room. Getting those 10mm bolts that hold the shroud on - back in - was a tricky job!! Of course they came out very easily, not so getting them back in on the alternator side of the engine. Took some time but was successful - finally.
Thanks for the heads up on the radiator.

Ok, I got the hose out. What PIA. I don't know what kind of sato masochisms engineered this but it is so tight no wonder it rubbed a hole in the line. Thinking when they make a new hose to make it about a half inch longer to give me some wiggle room

/ Left SIde Steering Hose Leaking and Steering Wheel Removal Help #8  
Good tip they gave you about not completely removing the center nut. It keeps you from eating the steering wheel when it pops loose.

Last edited:
Good tip they gave you about not completely removing the center nut. It keeps you from eating the steering wheel when it pops lose.
Yes and another tip was to put anti seize on the splines. Now it comes on and off with no fuss, a few taps on the wheel with my hand and it slides right off.

Ok, new hose made and on. The hydraulic shop was mystified by the way TYM did the fittings. Had to use a hose that was one size smaller than TYM's because of the different fittings on each end. I also had them wrap it in a plastic sheath for abrasion resistance. New hose went in in very easy and was easier to get on the flange nuts. Snugged them down good, didn't know the torque specs and fired it up. Let it run at high speed for a minute then came the moment of truth. Turned the wheel in both directions. Left turn the wheels turned, right turn nothing at first and then after a second try it turned right. Went back and forth a few times and it started working like new. Checked for leaks, no leaks. Yay... Re-centered the wheels and adjusted the steering wheel to be centered as well. Took it off the jak stands and drove around some. Works like a champ.

Now I have to figure how to pull the left rear wheel and pull out the axle to replace the axle seal, Ugh.