Leftover turkey...

/ Leftover turkey... #12  
So on Wednesday morning I weighted 212. I went out to Wendy's for lunch with friends, had large pizza and beers with family for dinner. Had lots-o-snacks at home that night. Got up Thursday morning. Ate breakfast by myself. Started the turkey around 10:00am. Got out venison cheese sticks, cheese and crackers for lunch. Made the rest of the sides with my wife. Ate Thanksgiving dinner with family at 2. Turkey, ham, Polish sausage, mashed and sweet potatoes, stuffing, wild rice, green bean casserole, corn, two kinds of cranberries, deviled eggs, cheesy potatoes, dinner rolls, 4 kinds of pie, pumpkin roll and probably a few other items I forgot. Got hungry again around 6, so out came the leftovers and tacos! :laughing: Add in a few beers and several mixed drinks.... I weighed 222 before bed! :shocked:

So, I gained somewhere over 9 pounds in about 36 hours.

Friday ate ham sandwich for breakfast, mowed leaves in my yard and did elderly neighbor's yard, too. Hauled in 600 pieces of firewood to the basement. Ate dinner of leftovers. Weighed 217 before bed.

Saturday got up and made french toast and sausage for the family. I had peanut butter french toast. Had turkey sandwich for lunch. Went to a movie with the family. Turkey pot pie for dinner. More deserts. Watched the ND football game. Amaretto stone sours for evening fun. Some long island ice teas, too.

Sunday more breakfast and lunch of leftovers. Pulled pork for dinner.

Monday morning weighed 211. :laughing:

/ Leftover turkey... #13  
I made a big batch of enchiladas out of left overs and they were a big hit...

SR

/ Leftover turkey... #14  
Usually just have normal turkey leftovers....hot turkey Sammy's, turkey noodle soup and vacuum seal some for a later date.
Smoked 6 turkeys for Thanksgiving. 2 going to the local on duty fire crew.
Whenever turkey breasts go on sale I will buy them to smoke.

/ Leftover turkey... #17  
I make soup with my leftovers.
After picking the carcass clean of as much of the meat as possible, I break the large bones (large ChannelLock pliers crack them nicely exposing the marrow - pliers are washed first of course) to open them up, and boil them in water for a few hours.

The resultant bone broth goes into the freezer until we're done with the rest of the turkey; then it, the leftover gravy (which was made primarily with the liver (organic turkey) and drippings from the roasting), the leftover meat, and extra carrots/celery/yellow onion/parsley/spices all go into a pot, with the result being
1.jpg
eight quarts, this year, of soup.
Seven went into the freezer; one's already been eaten (with fresh baked bread).

Goodness, no turkey to eat tomorrow!

I'm going to need to get a pressure canner so I can safely preserve soup after Christmas... anyone have pressure canner recommendations? Hopefully something useful for other pressure cooker uses?

/ Leftover turkey... #18  
ALL AMERICAN!!

standard.jpg

We have two, they are a purchase that will easily last a life time and be passed down to your kids!

SR

/ Leftover turkey... #19  
My DIL made the turkey in the dutch oven over charcoal. And left overs became a shepherds pie in the dutch oven over charcoal the next day. We were camping on property in N. Georgia.

/ Leftover turkey... #20  
We make broth from turkey or chicken carcass. My wife freezes the broth in ice trays, and then puts it in ziplocks.

There's about 8 cubes for a cup of stock. Makes it nice when cooking; if you need 1/2 cup of broth you toss in 4 broth cubes.

I make soup with my leftovers.
After picking the carcass clean of as much of the meat as possible, I break the large bones (large ChannelLock pliers crack them nicely exposing the marrow - pliers are washed first of course) to open them up, and boil them in water for a few hours.

The resultant bone broth goes into the freezer until we're done with the rest of the turkey; then it, the leftover gravy (which was made primarily with the liver (organic turkey) and drippings from the roasting), the leftover meat, and extra carrots/celery/yellow onion/parsley/spices all go into a pot, with the result being
eight quarts, this year, of soup.
Seven went into the freezer; one's already been eaten (with fresh baked bread).

Goodness, no turkey to eat tomorrow!

I'm going to need to get a pressure canner so I can safely preserve soup after Christmas... anyone have pressure canner recommendations? Hopefully something useful for other pressure cooker uses?