Length of TC40D

/ Length of TC40D #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Is there anyone out there that can measure the total length of their TC40D, including front end loader and an attached rotary cutter? What length trailer would you need to haul this equipment? I'd like to get a dump trailer that could do double duty hauling the tractor.

Thanks,

/ Length of TC40D #3  
I have a TC40D with a 16LA loader and R4 tires. It's 14 ft from the front of the bucket to the back of the rear tires. I don't have a rotary mower, so I can't comment on that, but I would assume another 7 ft or so for a 6 ft mower. I doubt that the dump trailer will be practical for two reasons. Twenty feet is pretty long for a dump trailer. The empty weight would be quite high, which would limit the load capacity. I have a 12 ft dump trailer with a 10K gross capacity. It's unladen weight is about 4500 lbs, leaving 5500 lbs of load capacity. The second issue is that the bed of a dump trailer is typically quite high off the ground, compared to a regular trailer. I've carried my TC29D in mine, and I must say the ride up and down the ramps is a bit of a thrill. All of that said, I will say that a dump trailer is a really nice to have. I've had a 10,000 lb load of roots/stumps in mine. Nothing quite like pressing the button, and watching all of that come out without breaking a sweat.

/ Length of TC40D
When you're trailering, is it necessary to have a trailer as long as the tractor and the rotary cutter, or can it hang off the end of the trailer?

/ Length of TC40D #5  
Here in California, it's legal to overhang the rear of a vehicle or trailer by 3 feet. Anymore than that, and you must place a red flag on the furthest extending point. When I carry the TC40D/backhoe in the trailer, the backhoe dipper/bucket sticks out just a little less than 3 feet. Works quite well. The only issue is to make sure that the weight distribution is correct, and you have enough tongue weight, or the trailer will sway.

/ Length of TC40D
Thanks, John

/ Length of TC40D #7  
I would think it would also depend on how much overhangs the end of the trailer. I'd want to have part of the cutter resting on the trailer bed to reduce the load stress on the 3ph while trailering.