Lens shade number?

/ Lens shade number? #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I have a #10 auto darkening lens (forget the model but was recommended in threads on this forum) that I use in my hood (white in color, possbily called a Pipeliner?)

It is not a variable so is always a #10. I've never had any eye discomfort after welding with this lens.

Yesterday my right eye was sore and red. Just the right, left was normal. My wife asked me if I had been welding. Of course I had. Only difference was I grabbed the thickest scrap I had and turned the machine up to about 150 amps.

I doubt my eye discomfort was caused by welding, mainly because it is only one eye. But it gives me a good chance to ask?

What number lens shad do you guys use?

Do you change shades based on the amps you are using?

Thanks.

/ Lens shade number? #5  
#10 should be ok, if the lens is too dark, you won't be able to see the weld.. how bright did the welding seem?.

/ Lens shade number? #6  
^ +1 check for scratches, i'd replace it with another shade 10. It doesn't take much of a scratch to let in enough to damage your eyes.

/ Lens shade number? #7  
Sometimes you can just get eye fatigue from squinting or straining. One eye or both. Maybe try a cheater lens, Reading glasses or Bi-focal. Works for most folks. But if it's one of those Gold coated lenses it is probably scratched.

/ Lens shade number?
All good recommendations, thanks. No scratches that I can see. I wear reading glasses instead of using a "cheater" lens.

Puddle didn't seem much brighter than normal.

/ Lens shade number? #9  
I use a #10 lens setting on my 3M Speedglas auto dark, I was using a #11 but I couldn't see the weld puddle very well.

/ Lens shade number? #10  
If you do not want to spend the money of a new lens then at least flip the one over that you are using. Then if the other eye gets sore it might be a clue :)