Lesson learned today with bucket hook

dalroo

Bronze Member
Tractor
MX4800
I've been pulling a cross fence a little bit at a time between other projects. The fence is mostly t-posts, but there was a single cedar post and was on a section I was removing this morning. I already had my t-post puller and a chain with me, so hooked up to the cedar post and tried to pull it. Worked on it for a bit, and had it really loose in the ground, but was not making progress raising, so decided to grab the tractor and make short work of it.

Since it was already so loose, I just hooked to left side chain hook on bucket, sat down in seat, and lifted ----- my right rear tire about a foot in the air. Oops!

Backed up, centered, hooked across both hooks, and lifted no problem. Struck me as a funny reminder to pay attention and don't assume short cuts are a good idea.

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
I've been pulling a cross fence a little bit at a time between other projects. The fence is mostly t-posts, but there was a single cedar post and was on a section I was removing this morning. I already had my t-post puller and a chain with me, so hooked up to the cedar post and tried to pull it. Worked on it for a bit, and had it really loose in the ground, but was not making progress raising, so decided to grab the tractor and make short work of it.

Since it was already so loose, I just hooked to left side chain hook on bucket, sat down in seat, and lifted ----- my right rear tire about a foot in the air. Oops!

Backed up, centered, hooked across both hooks, and lifted no problem. Struck me as a funny reminder to pay attention and don't assume short cuts are a good idea.

Hooking up anything to a bucket hook on one side is a great way to bend the torque tube on your FEL and wind up with a costly repair when the arms aren't at the same height as one another....happens all the time.

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD D110
... sat down in seat, and lifted ----- my right rear tire about a foot in the air. Oops!

:ashamed: I did a similar thing (the first AND last time) with my 4in1 and a small tree root. Of course I'd forgot the wee detail about roots getting larger towards the actual tree = right rear tyre a LOT off the ground before I had enough sense to drop the FEL.

dickfoster

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538TLB
Hooking up anything to a bucket hook on one side is a great way to bend the torque tube on your FEL and wind up with a costly repair when the arms aren't at the same height as one another....happens all the time.

I guess that's one of the reasons my dealer welded a single centered hook to my bucket. I also had him weld a shackle/clevis mount next to it instead of a D ring.

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200

Are you saying you have a very handy way to jack the tractor when a rear wheel needs to come off?

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands
You are NEVER suppose to pull T-post with a loader, you are suppose to use the 3 point.

SR

sdef

Platinum Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK45SE HST
Yep. I have learned a similar lesson a few times while digging large rocks and stumps when the bucket teeth on one side will catch on an underground root while I am working hard and the tractor immediately responds... Have been on the ragged edge of a pending rollover with no warning a few times. I now try and remember these lessons and slow down when using the bucket.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I've been very fortunate. I've not had a rollover pulling T-posts or fruit trees nor have I sprung the FEL frame. Been close but learned my lesson. Even with the M6040, I dig around a fruit tree first before pulling. I run a side-side chain on my bucket hooks to pull any T-post. Use the 3-point to pull fruit trees.

pat32rf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4300
I added a center hook shortly after getting my 4300 then learned not to try to unstick an ATV by pulling and lifting from that hook, especially in 4wd.
I have had a time when I was out on the job and had to remove and repair a rear tire. Hooked the loader under the float, then loaded the tire onto a trailer using muscle power.