Lessons Learned

/ Lessons Learned #1  

OkieDave

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
I moved out here a few years ago; my first time living outside city limits. I've learned more than a few things that just didn't occur to me as a city dweller. This morning, the lesson was driven home (again): I got up, planning for a normal day, but I had no running water.

Well, almost none: I opened the faucet and had some flow, but it quickly tapered off. That told me that I was getting flow after the pressure tank (I'm on a well), so the flow restriction must be upstream. This has happened to me once before, when the weather was similarly cold (we hit 0ー F last night), so I figured I was frozen between the wellhead and the house.

I called my neighbor to check on his water, and he said his house was fine, but mentioned that there was a small-gauge pipe between the main ingress pipe and the pressure switch that controls the pump, and suggested that I might check to see if it was frozen (smaller pipes freeze faster); if the sense pipe was frozen, the switch wouldn't activate to turn on the well pump. I don't have such a pipe, as my pressure switch connects directly to the main line. Just for grins, I gave the switchbox a rap with a section of tubing. I immediately heard the flow of slushy water, followed by the activation of the pump.

...ah, hot showers do feel so good.

So, what have you learned? I had this problem four years ago, and figured the freeze was outside, meaning I'd have to wait for warmer weather; I just now learned that I can fix it immediately (and that more insulation would probably prevent it in the first place). What surprises have you had living out of town? What would you pass on to the new guy who likes it out here, but doesn't know what he doesn't know?

/ Lessons Learned #2  
Having owned my own home for 7 years, and in that time, lost a water heater, broken a shower pipe off in the wall, experienced a particularly hard thunderstorm year where the cellar flooded(no sump pump, never happened before, and I live at the top of a 1300' hill, go figure.) I've had the roof on the addition of my house spontaneously start leaking around a skylight, only to find upon tearing the shingles off, that the entire roof was sheathed in 1 x 6 pine and was rotten, along with several of the rafters. I've had my septic start bubbling crude and upon digging it up, found that there was no leach field, only a drywell tank after the septic tank. A year and a couple grand after that little gem, the septic backed up again, and upon closer inspection, it was found that one of my wifes prized rose bushes had decided to send out a probe to the septic tank to see if it was habitable. It was. By the time I found it, the root structure was a 6" deep mat entirely across one end of the tank, creating a screen catching corn and god only knows what all else until the pipe plugged tight. A real treat, even for a seasoned septic veteran. I have replaced almost every major appliance (all relatively new when we bought the house,) which all died under mysterious circumstances. I could go on and on and on with a myriad of nuisance crap that has happened. In short...always expect something unexpected. ;-)

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Lessons Learned #3  
I'm still part time --- but --- I have learned a few things:

1. Plan trips to town. It's a 30 minute drive one way to stores. So, I have to make sure I write down everything I need. No running to the C-Store for stuff I forgot. Make sure I have a few spares of those things I really really need.

2. Spend the $ to get a quality outdoor equipment. There isn't any comparison in Farm work v. suburb work. Mowers, trimmers, saws, etc., etc. etc. It seems so simple now.

3. Make sure equipment is as easily maintained as possible. Easy access.

MoKelly

/ Lessons Learned #4  
Agree with previous posters.....always get (& maintain) top quality equipment.
Pump out that septic system every 2 years!
Don't let trees grow to hang over the building(s).
Combine your errands to minimize mileage & gas consumption.
Make sure your buildings are secure & you have self-protection...help is a long way away.

/ Lessons Learned #5  
What the guy's said! Another good idea is to get a burn barrel if you're comfortable, we burn all paper products (when its safe to do so), you'd be surprsed how much trash is paper! Also get you're remaining trash disposal figured out.

Is it different living in a city? I think I lived in one when I was 5, if Knoxville counts.:D Big city for us to live in is 3,000 folks! BUT I work in'em and they can have it.

/ Lessons Learned #6  
I also agree with getting quality power equipment. When you live in the country, you don't really live on your own, but at times you do, like during a snow storm.

/ Lessons Learned #7  
Backups, backups, and backups! Have a backup plan and backup equipment for EVERYTHING. Backup water source, electric, tools, transportation, food, hvac, ...whatever you can possibly imagine. At some point you WILL need that backup. The well pump will go out, the car will have 2 flats, an ice storm will take out power for a week, something weird that never happened before and may never happen again...does. Be ready for it. Think absolute self sufficiency and what do you need to make it happen at least on a temporary basis.