Let's talk filters

/ Let's talk filters #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
It's absolutely time for a fuel filter change on my tractor, so I figured I would go ahead and do the air filters just based on age, not hours. There are many options online, some look a little questionable and I'm avoiding them. I remember the air filter being a ridiculous price at Napa, so when the Wix cross referenced filter came up at almost $50 for the inner and outer I wasn't surprised. But then Amazon also kicked out a Kohler replacement set, both filters for $14.00? Bargain or bunk?

/ Let's talk filters #2  
The link to me to a Kohler gasket set.

I have been finding filters other then NH, but I stick with brands I know like wix.

/ Let's talk filters #3  
It's absolutely time for a fuel filter change on my tractor, so I figured I would go ahead and do the air filters just based on age, not hours. There are many options online, some look a little questionable and I'm avoiding them. I remember the air filter being a ridiculous price at Napa, so when the Wix cross referenced filter came up at almost $50 for the inner and outer I wasn't surprised. But then Amazon also kicked out a Kohler replacement set, both filters for $14.00? Bargain or bunk?

Those are complicated filters demanding the price they ask. $14....you asked for advice, here's mine: RUN.

Unless your current one won't clean out as directed in your service manual, don't buy new. Part of that hefty price is materials designed to tolerate dry cleaning, both banging to dislodge large particles and compressed air below 100 psi....I don't go over about 75-80 and blow from the center out.

Most filters of the type (outer) when clean you can see light through the filter media when held up to the sun or a bright light. Allways ensure you get good seating when reinstalling. Some inner filters can be gently rinsed and dried in clear water.

/ Let's talk filters #4  
The inner filter is the last line of defense. Given reasonable care to the primary element the inner element should last indefinitely. Should it become discolored or dirty, replace it. But not before. Cleaning the outer element as discussed above is perfectly fine.