Life on the farm

/ Life on the farm
1960, Some of the chickens we raised.
19600927_Chickens_barn.jpg

/ Life on the farm
A young buckeyefarmer. In the background is the large lilac bush that used to be in the yard. There might still be a tiny bit there. the tree to the right is a dogwood, that was in the yard for many years.
youngBuckeyeFarmer.jpg

/ Life on the farm #613  
A young buckeyefarmer. In the background is the large lilac bush that used to be in the yard. There might still be a tiny bit there. the tree to the right is a dogwood, that was in the yard for many years.
View attachment 774120
My Mom always wore a dress. She might put pants on under the dress if it was real cold and she had to work outside.

/ Life on the farm #614  
My Mom always wore a dress. She might put pants on under the dress if it was real cold and she had to work outside.
Mine went back to work once my youngest sister started school, it was in an office so she had to dress up. Don't recall her ever wearing a dress around the house though.

/ Life on the farm #615  
I don't mean to take over Buckeye's great thread, and if I seem to, just bump me and I'll pull back.

I'll share some pics.

First of my Mom.

Here is her typical cool weather attire. Not sure what she was doing, chores of some kind. I took her pic with the old Kodak box camera. This was 1959-60 ish. The building she is standing by is what we called the Smoke House. It was originally built to house the cream separator and store milk that Dad sold. Had a chimney and could be heated with a wood stove.

The second pic is her milking our cow Betsie.

353.JPG

332.JPG

/ Life on the farm #616  
I had a Blessed childhood. Poor as a Church mouse and never knew it. My Mom and Dad created entertainment for us kids. Dad's motto was "work hard, play hard". So I grew up with humor, jokes and pranks.

A couple minutes after I took the picture of Mom milking Betsie I decided it would be a good joke to scare the cow while she was milking. I went around the barn and jumped out at Betsie. Of course the cow bolted and moved away. Knocked Mom off the stool and she broke her little finger..... She didn't see the humor, but never yelled at me and I didn't get in trouble. Had to make a trip to town for Doc Lake to take a look and decide her finger was broke. Put it in a splint and wrapped her hand.

Here's a pic of my wounded Mom. I feel bad about this prank to this day. My Mom never mentioned it. Love my Mom. What a hard working woman.

333.JPG

/ Life on the farm #617  
I don't mean to take over Buckeye's great thread, and if I seem to, just bump me and I'll pull back.

I'll share some pics.

First of my Mom.

Here is her typical cool weather attire. Not sure what she was doing, chores of some kind. I took her pic with the old Kodak box camera. This was 1959-60 ish. The building she is standing by is what we called the Smoke House. It was originally built to house the cream separator and store milk that Dad sold. Had a chimney and could be heated with a wood stove.

The second pic is her milking our cow Betsie.

View attachment 774170

View attachment 774171
I finally realized why they prefered Guernsey and Jersey cows and similar types. More butterfat with less milking by hand.

/ Life on the farm #618  
I finally realized why they prefered Guernsey and Jersey cows and similar types. More butterfat with less milking by hand.
Six of one, half dozen the other. When I was younger, milk was priced and paid by the milk fat content. (To keep unscrupulous dairymen from watering their milk.) The downside to the Guernseys and Jerseys, at least then, was lower production, but it was a close thing. There were a couple of farms near us that had exclusively Guernseys or Jerseys for making cream and butterfat. I knew a few more farms that ran mixed herds to drive the overall milk fat level, but most of the local milk went into cheddar cheese, so Holsteins were the general rule.

For small operations, like homestead use, I think that the sweet temperament of Jersey and Guernsey cattle is night and day compared to Holsteins.

All the best,

Peter

/ Life on the farm
Dad pushing dirt up behind the garage. My youngest brother supervising. Our milk cow was kept in this shed next to the garage. The little door next to my brother was at the end of the manure trough, so it could be pushed out.
IMG_0004.jpg