Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault

/ Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Life\'s changes & tbn\'s influence -It\'s Rat\'s fault

It's all Rat's fault. After this discussion fuel effecient vehicles I've been doing some soul searching.

When I bought my truck (2002), my wife drove a Honda Civic, so I figured the gas guzzling wouldn't bother me. In October 2003, she bought a Honda Pilot (SUV). While it gets great gas milage compared to other SUV's its size, 22 mpg is a far cry from the 40 the civic got. Now that she has the Pilot, I don't really need the truck. I can pick up the various home improvement supplies in her car. It can also tow the tractor (Maxes out the capacity).

Truck gets 13mpg in winter, 15 in summer. Downsizing to a 4 cylinder midsize sedan (Honda Accord 34mpg hwy) will save me $100 a month in fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So it's time to say goodbye to the big red fuel-a-holic /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Wow - three paragraphs just to say I'm buying a new car. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now I'm faced with a very difficult choice. The new car will actually fit in the garage (truck was too big), so now I have to choose between the car and the tractor. Wifey has ruled out a "Quanset Hut" style shelter for tractor...

This is turning into a big year, The tractor is going to be paid for in May. I've started to plan the festivities. I'm thinking I might actually wash it after I mow the lawn.

The most exciting news is that we are expecting our first child in August. I might have to upgrade to a utlitiy tractor with cab & jump seat, so that junior can get in on the action sooner...

Attachments

• 606623-GY_exv6_34FRONT.jpg
    606623-GY_exv6_34FRONT.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 199
   / Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault #2  
Re: Life\'s changes & tbn\'s influence -It\'s Rat\'s fault

Hey, congrats on all fronts Steve! Maybe you should have jumped right to the official parent-mobile, a minivan /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault

<font color="blue">Maybe you should have jumped right to the official parent-mobile, a minivan</font>

Baby steps Rob, Baby steps. I have to slowly reduce my testosterone levels from 4X4 truck to sporty sedan to -gasp- being fully domesticated. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Unless we end up with three kids, I don't think a minivan is in the cards...

/ Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault #4  

<font color="blue">Unless we end up with three kids, I don't think a minivan is in the cards </font>

I would have said the same thing (wife too), but we did move to a minivan a couple of years back. Neither of us liked it too well but it served it's purpose and is no doubt, the easiest to get young kids in and out of. Now that our youngest can get in and buckle himself we dumped the minivan. Even with only two kids she wanted a third row of seating (seperation factor). Ended up with a Durango, which is more satisfying to drive and still provides the space. No gold stars for mileage, that's for sure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue">Even with only two kids she wanted a third row of seating (seperation factor). </font>

The pilot has 3 rows with seating for 8, although the third row is pretty tight for anyone >5' tall...

/ Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault #6  

Hey Hazmat, how many people will the Pilot seat? Shh, don't tell, but I have 5 kids. I've had my wife in a Suburban (you guessed, she won't do the minivan thing) but now my oldest is 16 and doesn't often ride with mom anymore. My wife wouldn't mind something a bit smaller than a Suburban, but she would really miss the storage space behind the 3rd seat in her Suburban. I'm wondering if you can fold down one of the rear seats to make more room for the groceries it takes to feed our 7 person family?

/ Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault #7  

what about the new honda civic hybrid? looks like a real car - unlike the early hybrids - and reports are 1. gas is going higher yet & 2. hybrids get the best mileage out there

/ Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault #8  

Don't the hybrids help a lot on gas mileage in town, but not as much on the open road ?
Ben

/ Life's changes & tbn's influence -It's Rat's fault #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( did move to a minivan a couple of years back )</font>

So did we.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( easiest to get young kids in and out of )</font>

Our "kids" were already in their 30s and grandkids are teenagers, but it's easiest to get us old folks in and out of; don't have to duck and squat to crawl in like we did with some cars, and don't have to climb up to get in like my wife had to do with some pickups we'd had. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dargo,

The third row is a 60/40 split so you can fold down part of it. It seats 2 in the front row (buckets). 3 each in the second & third rows (bench). There isn't a ton of room behind the third row (see attached)

Mikim,

The civic hybrid posts some serious MPG numbers (50), but I want something a little swanker - leather interior and more room. Civic hybrid is $20K. Accord 4 cyl with leather is $22,500 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Accord hybrid is $30K /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 606689-pilot trunk.jpg
    606689-pilot trunk.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 137