Lifting rocks with skidding tongs?

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
Has anyone ever used skidding tongs to lift rocks? I move a lot of rocks, mostly using forks, but there are times when I need to lift a rock straight up to get it out of tight spot. I've gotten pretty good at trussing rocks with chain, but that's time consuming and can be difficult if the shape of the rock isn't cooperative. I realize the proper tool is a grapple or a backhoe with a thumb, but I don't have those, and for less than $100 I can get a set of skidding tongs rated at 3500 lbs.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #2  
you would need to pinch the rock below the mid-point to get the tongs to grip. But as soon as you lift the rock it will flip over.

You will need at least three tines.

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #3  
Yes we have tried them on the mini excavator building rock walls, but they do not grip enough to hold a rock. And if you can somehow grip it the rocks rotate and fall out. We just use a rotating grapple to set rocks. Other than that a set of forks or grapple on skidloader do best

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #4  
Yep. What they said. Hard to get a grip spot and they they would be very hard to keep in the tongs.

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #5  
Every response so far is a winner!

You get much the same lousy results from trying to lift and move large rounds. While the points of the tongs will dig in the round rarely does what you want it to and often rips out. Spinning and whirling is the usual result.

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #6  
RockBackingUp.jpgRockChainedUp.jpg

What you need is a rock sling. One TBN'er made this for his 3 pt and the arms moves to adjust to size/shape of the rock. I loved this idea, if I ever get a large rock project - I'd build one of these puppies .:thumbsup:

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #8  
I have had good luck using a heavy tire chain as a sling.
:thumbsup: New ideas for this old dog. Same with the tongs, which are probably no good for most rocks but would work for other stuff. I forgot that I have both. Thanks TBNers

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs? #9  
how about adding two vee shaped pieces of metal to the points of the tongs? That would spread out the points of contact, preventing the rock from rolling out.

/ Lifting rocks with skidding tongs?
how about adding two vee shaped pieces of metal to the points of the tongs? That would spread out the points of contact, preventing the rock from rolling out.

Kind of like this:
Rock Jaw Rock Moving Equipment

I've used slings and chains, and there's two problems with them: getting them on the rock, and getting them off the rock.

These tongs:
Timber Tuff Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs — 32in.W Jaws, Model# TMW-04SS | Log Skidding| Northern Tool + Equipment

have replaceable tips. I think I might get a pair and see if experimenting with bars for tips works. I'll report back.