Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed?

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed?
Received call this morning, if all goes as planned the safe will be here late tomorrow.

Thanks for the clarification on the H165 vs 320R. I was beginning to wonder if I had an inferior loader that JD discontinued, was glad to find out its similar to the 320R.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #42  
If you already have weights, you can order a ballast holder from heavyhitch.com. I got mine there. It works well.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #43  
a rotary cutter is plenty of rear weight.
and a guy could put a little additional weight on the cutter if needed. Put a pallet on it and spread out some cinder-blocks or sumfin?

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #44  
I spend time here, mostly reading and learning. Have learned a lot and really appreciate those who post and assist.

I hope I have the correct place for this question, if not I apologize. I am having a gun safe being delivered next week and have opted to lift it off the delivery truck myself to reduce the delivery cost (they won't have to bring a fork lift with them). I'll then need to position it in the garage I've built out for cars, motorhome, etc.

I have a cabbed JD 3046R with an H165 loader, and wondering two things.

First, will that the 3046R with H165 loader be able to lift it off a larger delivery truck ... safely?

Second, assuming it can lift it, should I attach a ballast box before unloading? I don't have one yet but will purchase one before if needed.

The shipping dimensions of the safe are listed as 63.33 H x 42.79 W x 28.00 D, and the weight is around 750 lbs.

Many thanks,

Jim
I spend time here, mostly reading and learning. Have learned a lot and really appreciate those who post and assist.

I hope I have the correct place for this question, if not I apologize. I am having a gun safe being delivered next week and have opted to lift it off the delivery truck myself to reduce the delivery cost (they won't have to bring a fork lift with them). I'll then need to position it in the garage I've built out for cars, motorhome, etc.

First, will that the 3046R with H165 loader be able to lift it off a larger delivery truck ... safely?

Second, assuming it can lift it, should I attach a ballast box before unloading? I don't have one yet but will purchase one before if needed.

The shipping dimensions of the safe are listed as 63.33 H x 42.79 W x 28.00 D, and the weight is around 750 lbs.

Many thanks,

Jim
Pay extra for truck delivery with lift gate. Have a pallet jack available.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #45  
I have been using a very old 6 ft blade on the back of my TC33 for ballast. It cost about $75.00 when I got it. It is OLD, and heavy, about #450. The blade has come in handy time and again, for what little ground work I do, and is excellent as a counterbalance when I put the loader to the test. I put bolt on hooks on my bucket, and with a good chain or really good ratchet strap, the loader can be used in a lot of different ways, including moving lifting 4x5 round bales into my sheep feeder. I always use the blade as ballast, and have been very happy with the stability of the tractor when I am moving a large load. Keep us posted on your progress, so we know how it comes out. Not knowing is like missing the last 15 min of a movie....

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #46  

Many thanks,

Jim
Like Ning said get it close to the ground but you do not move the tractor. Have the truck pull out from under the load and you let I down very slowly, then you move the tractor. Lean the bucket back as far as you can with the safe in it

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #47  
I'd use a two wheel hand truck for a safe. I've put them in for people. Your tractor should be fine to get off truck.
After a couple of scares using the loader with my L3010 I bought a Kubota ballast box and filled it with bricks. I have an aftermarket Great Bend loader that is rated up to 1300 lbs and I too used it to get a gun safe out of my pickup (I bought one on sale at Cabela’s and they loaded it. I think that it was a floor model.) I had the ballast box on and everything went smoothly.

Unless you have pallet forks you are going to have to unload it with the bucket and ratchet straps to hold it. That will put the bucket way up in the air. Remember the higher up the more unstable the load is.

Yes, hanging any implement at all on the 3PH will help, but if you are serious about getting a ballast box I’d do it before the gun safe shows up. You could temporarily just fill it with dirt using your loader. Longer term sand works fine or bricks or crushed gravel.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #48  
I forgot one thing - check out Ken’s Bolt On Hooks (website). I had the Kubota dealer weld hooks on both sides of the bucket and I installed a Ken’s two way hook and loop adapter in the middle. The three attachment points are worth their weight in gold. The hooks were from Harbor Freight and you can save $ with Ken if you buy a hook/loop with cosmetic imperfections. Mine has a tiny blowhole in one of the welds. I’ll bet most people don’t even look at the special deals section of the website.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #49  
Lean the bucket back as far as you can with the safe in it
Do this only if you have the safe well secured to the bucket or forks! You don't want that safe rolling back over the hood...or you!

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #50  
My safe of the same size came on a pallet. If you have forks, that would be ideal. I don't know about using the bucket. Ask if they can deliver with a lift gate and at least bring it down to ground level.