Lighting upgrade project(s) - Pic heavy

/ Lighting upgrade project(s) - Pic heavy #1  

AirOpsMgr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310SE, Scag Cheetah II 72"
Going to blame @D&D for getting me thinking about the lack of light from the stock Kioti work lights and finally doing a few upgrades.

I originally upgraded the DK5310SE's headlights and work lights by swapping out the halogen bulbs for LED bulbs, it helped a bit, but the stock work lights were still too much of a spot light pattern rather than flood.

For the front, I went with Rigid D series SS 3" pods that have side shooter lights built in (Have some on my UTV and they've been great).

Then to add the side mounted pods, I ordered the Kioti beacon wiring kit (minus the beacon and post) and used the existing wiring to add the side-facing pods at the back of the cab.

I haven't decided if I'm going to replace the stock rear work lights yet, so this thread is just covering the new front and side pods.

Front work lights, New Vs Stock:
20240220_141706.jpg

20240220_141933.jpg

Installed using stock mounting tab, no modifications required to fit:

20240220_143636.jpg

The "side-shooter" LEDs facing the left and right sides provide light 120°, acting like a ditch light:
20240220_151342.jpg

Light comparison using 1 new light on left and stock on right, huge difference:
20240219_204556.jpg

Both new front work lights installed, don't need the headlights anymore:
20240220_213625.jpg

For the side facing Pods, I ordered just the Kioti beacon wiring kit, part number DKA149, which provided the 5-pin relay for the fuse box & the wiring to connect the switch to the existing plug on the harness under the switch panel. For the side pods, I used some AuxBeam 3" X-pro combo flood/spot lights.

Kioti beacon wiring kit:

20240221_094729.jpg

Beacon switch from the kit added, plug-&-play connection to the main harness underneath with provided connection harness:

20240221_163653.jpg

AuxBeam 3" pods mounted to the existing cab brackets & wired:

20240221_165237.jpg

20240221_163557.jpg

Last edited:
   / Lighting upgrade project(s) - Pic heavy
20240221_151229.jpg

Rear view:
20240221_165439.jpg

The side pods may need some further adjustment to prevent glare in the side mirrors, but will play with that when it gets dark later.

I'll probably upgrade the rear work lights as well, but that's a project for another day.

/ Lighting upgrade project(s) - Pic heavy #3  
Going to blame @D&D for getting me thinking about the lack of light from the stock Kioti work lights and finally doing a few upgrades.
Was not me, I included the part number for the correct missing connector. The one that matches the one included in the top right hand baggy. From the looks of things, that would have saved 1/2 roll of tape. :LOL:

I haven't decided if I'm going to replace the stock rear work lights yet, so this thread is just covering the new front and side pods.
Yes, you have. maybe you didn’t order them yet, but….

Kioti beacon wiring kit:

View attachment 853520

I do like the side shooters you mounted on the front. Nice job overall, can’t wait to see it finished.

Was not me, I included the part number for the correct missing connector. The one that matches the one included in the top right hand baggy. From the looks of things, that would have saved 1/2 roll of tape. :LOL:

Yes, you have. maybe you didn’t order them yet, but….

Kioti beacon wiring kit:

View attachment 853520

I do like the side shooters you mounted on the front. Nice job overall, can’t wait to see it finished.
Haha, you just got me thinking about pulling the trigger is all, lol 😉

I was going to use the stock connectors, but it ended up being too long with the ferrite beads I added, so just did connectors, heat shrink and then wrapped with ET

/ Lighting upgrade project(s) - Pic heavy #5  
Ferrote
Haha, you just got me thinking about pulling the trigger is all, lol 😉

I was going to use the stock connectors, but it ended up being too long with the ferrite beads I added, so just did connectors, heat shrink and then wrapped with ET
ferrite beads? Did we throw a scope on it and check pulse characteristics before applying? Were you standing next to the electric fence controller?

Sorry, I find that humorous because of one of the engineers I worked with. It became the running joke at staff budget meetings, x has an upcoming project order more ferrites 😂 He is a very talented EE, great guy, he just loves ferrites as the first solution.

Ferrote

ferrite beads? Did we throw a scope on it and check pulse characteristics before applying? Were you standing next to the electric fence controller?

Sorry, I find that humorous because of one of the engineers I worked with. It became the running joke at staff budget meetings, x has an upcoming project order more ferrites 😂 He is a very talented EE, great guy, he just loves ferrites as the first solution.
I get bad static on the radio when I turn the old LED work lights on and they've worked on my truck and UTV to kill the static after adding LED lights, so gonna try them, if not, simple to remove

/ Lighting upgrade project(s) - Pic heavy #7  
I get bad static on the radio when I turn the old LED work lights on and they've worked on my truck and UTV to kill the static after adding LED lights, so gonna try them, if not, simple to remove
Ah, I haven’t had that experience, yet. Thanks for the tip.

Ah, I haven’t had that experience, yet. Thanks for the tip.
I should rephrase that, it's more of a loss in radio signal with a little static added in; More noticeable as I'm out in the sticks and no radio stations nearby with a strong signal.

Last edited:
Side pods lights adjusted, but not a fan of these AuxBeam "combo" pattern lights; They're supposed to be flood and spot, but the spot is much more predominant than flood.

20240221_213002.jpg

/ Lighting upgrade project(s) - Pic heavy #10  
I really like the right vs left photometric comparison! It really shows that hot spot in the original light fixture.
The dealer called today and said my beacon wiring kit was in. The dealer is an hour away in the opposite direction of my normal travels so I have to decide to ship the kit here, or make a trip. If I go down to the dealer, I can do some bare root tree shopping also...
I am interested in the ferrite bead filter idea. Any good links to share on the subject?

Dave