Lights connection water greif

/ Lights connection water greif #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Silly question you guys. The trailer connection in our ford seems to gain moisture over winter months and the truck keeps telling us"trailer is connected" followed by "trailer is disconnected" over and over again. Of course we us liberal amounts of electricital grease on those connection's. Does anyone else have this greif?? What do you do for that? Our truck lives outside.

/ Lights connection water greif #2  
Is it a molded plug or a replacement type?

If replacement type, check the condition of the connections inside the trailers 7-way plug

/ Lights connection water greif
The trailer is not connected. It's moisture in the bumper connection which is OEM.

/ Lights connection water greif #4  
My dodge started doing that last year when the integrated brake controller failed.

/ Lights connection water greif #5  
With the truck off, use a small flat bladed screwdriver to spread each of the 7 male pins a little wider, which will help make a better connection. I do that on my Ford truck every late fall.

The truck brain's thinks there is a trailer attached when there's not. This only happens when there is moisture and some conductivity in the trailer connector on the rear of the truck. This only happens over the winter and today, I sprayed some WD 40 in it which is a dryer and that fixed it. That spray is a mess.

/ Lights connection water greif #7  
It could be coming from further up the wiring harness than the actual bumper connector plug.

If I remember right, there is another plug in the harness somewhere (depending on year) underneath the truck bed, usually near the gap from cab to bed.

The truck brain's thinks there is a trailer attached when there's not. This only happens when there is moisture and some conductivity in the trailer connector on the rear of the truck. This only happens over the winter and today, I sprayed some WD 40 in it which is a dryer and that fixed it. That spray is a mess.

It could be coming from further up the wiring harness than the actual bumper connector plug.

If I remember right, there is another plug in the harness somewhere (depending on year) underneath the truck bed, usually near the gap from cab to bed.
We're pretty sure it's in the bumper connector thingy. Ford people said the same thing.

/ Lights connection water greif #10  
Not knowing the age of the truck my guess is you might need to replace the 7 pin/4 pin along with the lead in wire that attaches to rear wire harness. Depending on year and model it is generally one part complete with modular wiring. Be sure to use some dielectric grease on harness where it connects to existing wiring harness.