lights on ROP for a TC 30

/ lights on ROP for a TC 30 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I would like to add a light to the top of the ROP because the 7308 blocks the front lights. Can I splice into the existing headlight circuit and add a small light on the ROP or would that overload the existing lights and cause a fuse to fail.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ lights on ROP for a TC 30
I'm interested in doing this also, looking at adding both front and rear lighting it would depend on what the current draw is with existing lighting, what the wiring is rated at, and how much the new lights draw. with a multi-meter could be figured out or are there additional opening in the fusebox for add-ons, like a boat has?

/ lights on ROP for a TC 30
I'd recommend you use a relay, to keep the current draw off the headlight circuit. Generally engineers will spec a circuit with a 30% or more ovebuilt as far as wires, switches, etc... That said, the lights you have use very little and a driving or spotlight is going to have a fair amount of current drain. By using the relay, you can pull of an auxiliary circuit or directly from the positive battery cable at starter. Be sure that you install a fuse in the cicuit as close to the power source as possible. Would also recommend you wrap the wiring in conduit as it's very inexpensive and in the tractor environement will more than likely save a direct short sooner or later.

/ lights on ROP for a TC 30 #4  
I have been pondering this also.

Another question has to be attaching the light(s) to the ROPS. Drilling the ROPS is probably out of the question due to safety and warranty issues, welding may be beyond the abilities of some. Perhaps some type of clamping setup such as u-bolts with a vibration isolator?

Now that we have several interested, who is going to step up and actually make it work? AND, by the way, share the results with the rest of us????

Time to go sit in the shop and think, yeah, that's what I'll tell the wife, 'gonna go think' . . . . doubt if she'll believe it!

/ lights on ROP for a TC 30 #5  
Here's my light on my TC30. I build a bracket and drilled, tapped, and bolted the unit to the ROPS. I used the small 1/4 size bolts to minimize metal loss to the ROPS. I have wired this into the auxillary circuit that terminates under the right fender. If you look closely at the top of the right fender you can see the rubber coated switch that turns it on or off.

You can also see the additional hazard lights that I added at the top-center of the ROPS. There is one in front and one behind. These add visibility up high where it's most visible.

Attachments

• 288341-DCP_0178.JPG
    288341-DCP_0178.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 353
   / lights on ROP for a TC 30 #6  
Another view of the lights on top-center.

Attachments

• 288342-DCP_0179.JPG
    288342-DCP_0179.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 261
   / lights on ROP for a TC 30 #7  
Jerry,

I am going to end up with my forward facing lights in about the same location as yours, but with a variation on the mounting method.

My concern, and question to you is 'do you have any problems with glare from the light as it is just slightly above and behind your head?'.

We had some real problems with this up north when we tried to provide additional lighting on some of the big dozers. Ended up having to shield the fixtures so that the operators were not bothered by the glare. Our problem was not brought on by snow, it was simply the bright lights so close to the operator.

Thanks,

Don

/ lights on ROP for a TC 30 #8  
Don, I understand what you are referring to. I am not sure why, but the glare does not seem to be a problem. I used it like this last winter and never noticed a problem. My light projects a trapazoidal beam. Maybe a flood pattern or spot would cause more trouble.

Jerry