3-Point Hitch Limited movement in top link

/ Limited movement in top link #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Had this 770 for about 20 years now and the top link will only extend or retract about 4 or 5 inches, then it jams like maybe the threads are damaged.
Tempted to use my oxy torch on it, but afraid I would damage it or at least make it worse or that it would tighten up again when it cools. No rust & I have greased it, oiled it.
Any suggestions?

/ Limited movement in top link #2  
If you are talking about the third link at top of 3 point,they take a beating and must occasionally be replaced. They are cheap enough that salvaging one that is worn isn't worth the effort.

/ Limited movement in top link #3  
I agree probably needs replacing but you have nothing to lose by heating it up and looking at the threads to see if there damaged or if there is a bunch of stuff in there you can clean out.

/ Limited movement in top link #4  
Which end jams? Or have you not tried to take each end off separately?

/ Limited movement in top link #5  
There are spring pins key 9 to prevent coming all the way apart.
Are you sure travel limit is not normal?

Is either threaded end bent?

I would start with penetrating oil before heat.

Attachments

• 770toplink9spring pin.PNG
    770toplink9spring pin.PNG
    76.1 KB · Views: 88
   / Limited movement in top link #6  
I've never owned one that had 9-10 & 11. Been a couple of times I wished I did.:laughing:

/ Limited movement in top link #7  
I’ve taken mine apart and cleaned and lubed it now and then. Never had any stop pins in it, maybe I had the cheap version.
A rod and a cheater bar should do the job, but better check for those pins first.

/ Limited movement in top link
TaDah!!!
Talked to a service guy at the dealer & he said sometimes grease will harden and that heat might work. So I took ZebraFive's suggestion of penetrating oil, figuring that it might soften grease and one or the other of those ideas worked!
Thanks

/ Limited movement in top link #9  
I love when a plan comes together!
David from jax

/ Limited movement in top link #10  
TaDah!!!
Talked to a service guy at the dealer & he said sometimes grease will harden and that heat might work. So I took ZebraFive's suggestion of penetrating oil, figuring that it might soften grease and one or the other of those ideas worked!
Thanks

I love when a plan comes together!
David from jax

X1 For plans coming together. Thank goodness it was uneventful. The service guy at dealer should take up burger flipping because he certainly isn't a pro service advisor. Simply exposing oil and grease to pure oxygen at extreme pressure can result in fire or explosion. Exposing oil and grease to an oxygen rich flame is near certain to cause violent flame and explosion.