Limiting depth of post hole digger

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger
I thought of something last night, when I was trying to control the depth of drop of the 3 point, I don't think I adjusted the flow control down to slow the drop, allowing the auger to dig in. I'll try that.

I also like the idea of blocking the 3pt lower arms, I'll try that too.

I was trying to control the depth but it would dig in faster than I could lift it back up. May be the drop was just too fast.

Anyway, I'll play with it and try the different ideas.

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger #12  
I thought of something last night, when I was trying to control the depth of drop of the 3 point, I don't think I adjusted the flow control down to slow the drop, allowing the auger to dig in. I'll try that.

I also like the idea of blocking the 3pt lower arms, I'll try that too.

I was trying to control the depth but it would dig in faster than I could lift it back up. May be the drop was just too fast.

Anyway, I'll play with it and try the different ideas.
You don't need to adjust the rate of drop valve, just lower the 3 PH lever a bit at a time (don't drop it all the way down) so the auger starts digging in then raise it back up to clear the dirt, then lower the lever a bit at a time so the auger lowers back into the hole slowly and stops lowering. Inch the lever down a bit at a time to get some contact to the fresh soil and only allow the auger to lower a few inches before raising it out of the hole to clear the dirt.
Also, you don't need to be more than 1500 RPM for the auger to work.

Just in case you do auger in and cant raise it, it is much easier to use a pipe wrench to turn the PTO shaft backward to "unscrew " the auger than it is to try and turn the auger itself. It takes a lot more turning, but the PTO shaft can be turned using just an 18" pipe wrench without a cheater pipe. Once freed up a bit by turning the PTO shaft, you can then use the wrench to turn the auger shaft itself.

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger #13  
All great arguments for hydraulic PHD. Mine: mounted to the FEL, while folks are fooling around w/ an inch at a time, are you serious?, My job is finished. .Ability to forward/reverse against a stubborn stone/rock generally loosens it. Easily dig hole and set twelve posts an hour, a comfortable pace.

EDIT: good point, use my PHD on little ford, 7-1/2 GPM. works great. Use it on LULL, operates in intermittent range of pump capacity, outstanding results. Even the little guy below would be more productive than the nonsense in this thread.

photo would load?

Last edited:
   / Limiting depth of post hole digger #14  
Ok, but most folks don't have a tractor with enough hydraulic flow on the FEL to operate a hydraulic PHD.

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger
Yea, would be nice to have a larger tractor and a hydraulic PHD. I'm just grateful that I was able to finally afford to get a SCUT. Did a lot of digging footers, post holes, all by hand. Oh, let's not forget about shoveling and raking out driveway stone by hand..... Anybody want to donate a bigger tractor and attachments? Well, I'm just going to 'fool around', but have fun doing it...

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger #16  
Clarification,
Bought Stihl drive head and two augers, used from rental yard $200.
White RS Hyd motor, 2 hoses, power beyond valve next to loader valve $ $300.
Misc iron in shop, simple frame, short pieces 2 x 5 tube to slide over pallet forks. Hardly a huge investment. To date, 400+ fence posts installed

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger #17  
I had a 3pt PHD for my old 32hp (25pto) L3200. I made some mods to it including 200lbs of extra ballast over the gearbox. It would dig pretty decent, but you still had to baby it & inch it down. It ran off with my old tractor.

I got a hydraulic 3rd function on the loader of my new L4060 along with a hydraulic SSQA PHD. 40hp & double the weight. It has a hydraulic flow of 9.something gpm & relief of 2,500psi. 10gpm & 2,500psi translates into under 14.5hp (probably less with all the extra plumbing losses). So my fancy new tractor & PHD have 10hp less avalibe than my old L3200 & 3pt PHD. I can feel that every time I use it. But the new setup has a couple thousand lbs of downpressure via the loader & I can reverse it at will. Despite being under powered it will dig at about the same net speed, but kills my neck less while doing it.

I never jammed my 3pt unit once in 10 acres of fence post holes. Got close a few times, but never corkscrewed. I jam & stall my hydraulic PHD on every hole, especially because of being able to lift the front of the tractor for downpressure. But having hydraulic reverse means I free it in a second or 2.

Basically a 3pt unit of ran right will do 5-10 acres of holes just fine. The $2-4k for a hydraulic PHD isnt going to be worth it for that scenario vs a $600 cheap 3pt one. Once you start doing more than that or doing it commercially or semi-commercially like I do now, hydraulic comes into own. If you do get one, match it to your flow. Real skid steers flow a LOT more than a tractor & most SSQA PHD motors are matched to a much higher flow.

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger #18  
I started paying more attention to the pilot drill tip geometry when my mass-marketed unit would not penetrate dry, hard clay. (in regular soil it works great) On mine, the very tip of that cast steel spiral point is not a cutting point but rather a bald hemisphere that kinda polished a shallow hole in hard clay. I made a mental note to, before the next job, grind some grooves in that tip so it would cut instead of wallow.

After reading some of the experiences on this thread, I wonder if the spherical tip on mine is intentionally inefficient and acts as a brake on the penetration rate. After all, it does work great in normal moisture. Long shot, I know, but it would be interesting to see pictures of the tips on some overly aggressive units described here.

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger #19  
I run my tractor around 1200 rpm for phd and just regulate my 3pt drop with the control, pulling up to clear the dirt often. I also found out years ago it makes it so much easier to start holes if I just take some little effort and use my hand post hole diggers to cut down just an inch or two deep - the auger starts so much easier and no walking all over the place - I get the hole right where I want it that way.

/ Limiting depth of post hole digger #20  
I run my tractor around 1200 rpm for phd and just regulate my 3pt drop with the control, pulling up to clear the dirt often.
That is exactly how I operate my Danuser phd. Controlling the drop with the 3pt hitch lever, not the valve under the seat, and definately at low rpms. Until reading this thread I never realized so many people had so much trouble with a 3pt phd. But I do notice there are various designed tips on the assortment of augers that are out there which would act differently.

Must have drilled a couple of hundred holes over the years in red shale type hardpan soil here in ne PA without the problem discussed in this thread.