Liquid filled tires

/ Liquid filled tires #1  

chander

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1710, 1910, 2120
I was doing my spring check up on the tractor and when checking the loaded rear tires I had calcium coming out of the stems.
When checking the stems are at the top, I usually apply some air to blow the stems clear of fluid before checking air pressure. When doing this I could bubbling, if I push in on the stem fluid escapes.
I have checking these tires many times before with no issues, they also have tubes installed. I filled them with more air thinking they were very low, but no change.

/ Liquid filled tires #2  
I've not heard of rear tube tires filled with fluid before. But, if it works, then fine.

Since the late 80s, the calcium chloride fill has dropped in popularity for either the beet juice fill or the RV/Marine propylene glycol (pink stuff) as it will not corrode the rims nor the cheap valve stems. Also protects the inside of the tire wall and the metal rim. Helps reduce rim leaks too. Has protection in -40F temps and can be used all year.

Additionally, the RV/Marine pink stuff is pet safe, kid safe, and even approved as a food sweetener by the FDA in gummy bears, Swedish fish, lots of salad dressings, salsas, etc. That's what organic farms use too in their machines.

Back to your question. What is making the CC leak out? A chemical reaction? Filling more air increases the pressure. Maybe the tube rotted out inside?

/ Liquid filled tires
With the tire stem at the 12oclock position, there should only be air coming out of the stem. With the tires filled to about 70% there should be no liquid at this point.
Has air got between the tire and tube and raised the displacement of the liquid ? This is happening with both tires.

/ Liquid filled tires #4  
It's best to blow air into the valves at maximum pressure to clear them before letting air out, imo. Calcium rots the valves eventually. This minimizes calcium from contaminating the sealing surface of the valves. I also blow clean water into the valves as the last procedure. Lots of times the valves will not seal after adjusting the air pressure. It's good to have spare valves on hand.

ps, take the weight off the tire before adjusting air.

I thought all calcium filled tires had tubes, idk.

/ Liquid filled tires #5  
I thought all calcium filled tires had tubes, idk.
When the only thing I could get for fill was calcium I always put it tubes to prevent it from eating the rims. In fact I think it was the dealer that did them that insisted I had to have tubes when filling with this stuff.

Sorry, don't have any input on this issue, but watching in case I can learn sumpin :)

Last edited:
   / Liquid filled tires #6  
When the only thing I could get tires filled

When the only thing I could get for fill was calcium I always put it tubes to prevent it from eating the rims. In fact I think it was the dealer that did them that insisted I had to have tubes when filling with this stuff.

Sorry, don't have any input on this issue, but watching in case I can learn sumpin :)

The nice thing about the RV/Marine fluid, none of this rust, rot, tubes, or valve stems going bad. :)

Switching over has more benefits. Just that time involved to clean, replace the valve stems, buy new tubes (or not), remount the tires, then fill with RV/Marine fluid will not rot the valve stems, helps with sealing, and protection all year. The trick is finding the fluid in 55-gallon or 30-gallon plastic barrels already pre-mixed. Likewise with the beet juice. But the beet juice doesn't protect to -40, it's more like 20F.

This time of year, the RV Marine goes on sale. Finding it is the question in the amounts you need.

/ Liquid filled tires #7  
I've had two tractors in the 40 years I've been out here. First had calcium. At about year 20 it became a REAL PITA. Replacing valve stems 2x annually. Learned my lesson. The tractor I have now has RimGuard. Not a moments problem in the 12 years I've had the tractor.

My suggestion - have the rears stripped down - steam cleaned - repainted if necessary - remount and filled with RimGuard, RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid. No tubes.

/ Liquid filled tires #8  
What does this have to do with the question ???????????

Not sure what those 2 are talking about. One guy talks like he's from a foreign country. Can figure out his speaking to follow.

I've had two tractors in the 40 years I've been out here. First had calcium. At about year 20 it became a REAL PITA. Replacing valve stems 2x annually. Learned my lesson. The tractor I have now has RimGuard. Not a moments problem in the 12 years I've had the tractor.

My suggestion - have the rears stripped down - steam cleaned - repainted if necessary - remount and filled with RimGuard, RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid. No tubes.

How does the RimGuard hold up to cold temps below 20F? As it's beet juice, I've been cautious to try it. Great stuff if I still lived down south where so many are using it. Glad you are on 12th year and it's all good. :)

/ Liquid filled tires #9  
Not sure what those 2 are talking about. One guy talks like he's from a foreign country. Can figure out his speaking to follow.

How does the RimGuard hold up to cold temps below 20F? As it's beet juice, I've been cautious to try it. Great stuff if I still lived down south where so many are using it. Glad you are on 12th year and it's all good. :)

It's rated freeze resistant to -35°F so shouldn't be a problem for most people.

/ Liquid filled tires #10  
I know that this is getting off topic but I also would like to see fact based evidence and documentation on RimGuard being bad for the rims. Everything that I can find says that it helps prevent rust and corrosion.

Back to the topic at hand and the questions. I would try as suggested by others to remove the weight from the tires by jacking it up. I need to check my tire pressure and to be honest I never thought about doing this, but makes total sense after reading it.

However, I was out in the shed a few days ago when it was below freezing in the morning but was almost 60f when I was in the shed and I could see the level of the liquid ballast because the tire was sweating up to that level and I could see that it was even with or a maybe little below the stems.

This brings up another possibility. Does the liquid used change volume based on temperature? I know that many liquids do but I cannot find any information on this related to calcium fill. If it does then this could also be a factor in a rise in fluid level depending on what the temp was when they were filled and what it is when you check the tires.

I don't think that air outside of the tube would cause the level of the liquid to rise unless there was significant air pressure and I cannot think of anything that could cause this to happen except that there is a leak in the tube near the top and the air you're putting in is creating pressure between the tire and the tube. I find it difficult to believe that this could happen to both wheels or that it could happen in one wheel for that matter.