Liquid in tires

/ Liquid in tires #51  
Many years ago Boss wanted to demonstrate a new tractor. Didn't have any calcium chloride on hand so I was told to fill the tires with water. When the demo was over, drain the water out--- Then it got cold Yep freezing cold Because all the water could not get out of the tires some was left in, now ice. Was told to move the tractor. The ice that was in the tires cut the tubes -- Replaced the tubes!!

/ Liquid in tires #52  
Stonewall,

In a word yes, add liquid to your tires.
Why would you want to? All tractors work better the heavier they are because the tires engage the ground better with the presumption you are not running turf tires ( R3) AND adding weight to tires lowers the center of mass of the tractor resulting in a more stable machine.

The fill/ not fill topic and what to fill with or hang onto the rims got pretty well flogged to death under an earlier entry entitled:

Here is a useful comparison from that earlier entry:
Desugared beet juice pulp is a waste product that got repurposed because it's specific gravity is significantly higher than water, it is cheap for distributor to buy since it is a waste product that would normally get dumped back onto field, it is non corrosive to metal wheel rims, it is non poisonous to animals and land if it leaks, and its freezing point at greater than -35'F is well below water's 32'F freeze point.
I'm guessing RimGuard built a business on selling a waste product for profit.
Rimguard weighs 10.7 Lbs/ gal.
BioBallast weighs 9.7 Lbs/ gal ( Their MSDS / SDS says proprietary organic components but I suspect product is corn gluten based )
Water weighs 8.3 Lbs/ gal

The American dream. Selling a waste product for profit.

See attached
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? Pretty sure it's high sugar content beet juice (with some additives) that is used as the tire ballast (the sugar acts as the antifreeze). The left over pulp is generally used as animal feed.

/ Liquid in tires #53  
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? Pretty sure it's high sugar content beet juice (with some additives) that is used as the tire ballast (the sugar acts as the antifreeze). The left over pulp is generally used as animal feed.
John_Mc,

I am certain about the contents of RimGuard. The resulting de sugared pulp, with some residual sugar, is what RimGuard is installing in tires. Stuff is like slurry and most installers will not install RimGuard when weather is cold because it gets very thick and is hard to pump.

RimGuard is selling the de sugared waste product that would have previously been spread back out onto fields as fertilizer. Selling a waste product for profit and probably getting paid to take the waste from the de sugaring plant.

Last edited:
   / Liquid in tires #54  
Beet Juice is proven to work and being a liquid, always stays in the bottom half of the tire where you want it, low.

This assumes you fill half of the tire with Beet Juice and the other half with air.

Cast iron wheel weights are also appropriate.

/ Liquid in tires #55  
I purchased 20 gallons of minus 20-degree wind shield washer fluid for $1/gallon at the end of winter at my local Walmart Store. That gave me about 80 lbs of ballast in each rear tire of my JD 2305. I also bought a hose-end-adapter at Tractor Supply for $9 that screwed onto the tire valve stem (needle valve removed and tire jacked up to remove weight). Then used a small "water feature pump", a bucket, and a garden hose to fill each rear tire about 3/4 full. Simple, inexpensive, and a do it myself project for about $30. Dan C.
That’s cheap unless you’re filling larger rear tires like I have on my MX. The bio ballast and water fill in my tires amounts to about 450# per tire.

/ Liquid in tires #56  
450 pounds of ballast windshield washer fluid at $1 per gallon would cost 450 lbs/8.5 lbs/gal = 53 gallons, or about $53 per tire. I think that is much cheaper than the Beet Juice product. Dan C.

/ Liquid in tires #57  
That blue windshield washer fluid freezes quit easily around here in the winter, just the thing to ruin a pair of expensive tires.

/ Liquid in tires #58  
That blue windshield washer fluid freezes quit easily around here in the winter, just the thing to ruin a pair of expensive tires.
It’s basically just colored methanol, but it’s watered down so it freezes on the windshield at single digit temperatures.

/ Liquid in tires #59  
If you use calcium put a tube in or it will rust out your rims. If you use antifreeze and get a leak it is harmful to the animals and will kill them it is a very bad death ☠️ for them.

/ Liquid in tires #60  
I tend to find it somewhat humorous some people are so paranoid about letting information out about themselves, when so much info is all ready available if anyone cares to search just a bit.
They are hesitant to put down information even about what state they live in.
When back in the ma bell time almost everyone had a listed phone number that was in the book, that everyone else got.
It had your name road address and phone number. Then on top of that you could order a special phone book sorted by address or phone number.
And then just look at your states public information on the GIS system, your name, the address of the tax bill, the physical location of the plat or lot,
how much the taxes are and when you paid them. Then add in goggle street view if you live close to the road, if not the satellite view is fairly detailed.

But to each his own, I don't worry about but others do.
One of the things we do to make ends meet is sell vegetables by the side of the road. We've been doing that for around 60 years, since I was a kid. In that time, we eventually learned that it's better for business if you are easy to find, so we do everything we can to make it that way.