Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I have an older drill kit that has both a drill and impact driver with Ni Cad batteries. I am seeing lithium ion products that have one tool that is called drill/driver. Does that mean it is both a drill and impact driver in the same tool? I want to upgrade to lithium ion but want a clarification. It would be nice to replace two tools with one.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #2  
I believe that refers to a drill with the adjustable clutch that limits screw depth. Doesn’t replace the impact driver.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #3  
I don't know what the term is actually supposed to mean. I don't think a drill and impact combo exist.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #4  
I believe that refers to a drill with the adjustable clutch that limits screw depth. Doesn’t replace the impact driver.

I would concur with that and add that the clutch 'locks' for the drill function, I have a Milwaukee set and has a hammer function too, impact driver is a separate beast with no chuck.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #5  
   / Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #6  
If you are happy with your existing tools you may can just update the batteries. That is the route I went with my 19.2 Craftsman C3 stuff. I already had several pieces so I bought the C3 ratchet with a lithium battery and charger and a spare battery. Have been very happy with the performance.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here
If you are happy with your existing tools you may can just update the batteries. That is the route I went with my 19.2 Craftsman C3 stuff. I already had several pieces so I bought the C3 ratchet with a lithium battery and charger and a spare battery. Have been very happy with the performance.

I didn't know you could do that. Please explain what is involved. My current stuff is Porter Cable.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #8  
I didn't know you could do that. Please explain what is involved. My current stuff is Porter Cable.

Depends if Porter Cable continued the same tool line with lithium batteries. They require a different charger but the tool doesn't care . As long as the battery fits and supplies the correct voltage you are good to go. The easiest way to convert is see if they sell another tool you could use with a compatible battery. This will get you the charger and at least one battery.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #9  
You'll likely find that it is cheaper to buy the whole tool kit (tool, charger, 2 batteries) than to buy a single battery. Sad fact but that's what I have found.

/ Lithium Ion drill/driver. Help me here #10  
This may help but I don't see many single tool kit options from Porter Cable. It says "The new batteries are interchangeable with any PORTER-CABLE 18-volt cordless tool"
Porter-Cable

It seems all their single tools are sold as bare tools though.

If I had a drill and impact the one tool I would add is a reciprocal saw. That is one tool in my cordless arsenal I cannot live without.