Lithium: It's Something In The Water

/ Lithium: It's Something In The Water #1  

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
Interesting article about studies correlating naturally occurring lithium in water supplies to beneficial effects.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/opinion/sunday/should-we-all-take-a-bit-of-lithium.html?

Historical precedent (from the linked article):

LITHIUM has been known for its curative powers for centuries, if not millenniums. Lithia Springs, Ga., for example, with its natural lithium-enriched water, appears to have been an ancient Native American sacred site. By the late 19th century Lithia Springs was a famous health destination visited by Mark Twain and Presidents Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt.

Lithium drinks were in huge demand for their reputed health-giving properties, so much so that the element was added to commercial drinks. 7-Up was originally called Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda and contained lithium citrate right up until 1950. In fact, it's been suggested that the 7 in 7-Up refers to the atomic mass of the lithium. (Maybe the 'Up' referred to mood?) Even beer made with lithia water was available.

/ Lithium: It's Something In The Water #2  
That is an interesting article.

/ Lithium: It's Something In The Water #3  
Very interesting.

/ Lithium: It's Something In The Water #7  
Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy. A good book and he uses the lithium in drinking water idea to craft the story.

/ Lithium: It's Something In The Water #8  
Interesting article about studies correlating naturally occurring lithium in water supplies to beneficial effects.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/opinion/sunday/should-we-all-take-a-bit-of-lithium.html?

Historical precedent (from the linked article):

LITHIUM has been known for its curative powers for centuries, if not millenniums. Lithia Springs, Ga., for example, with its natural lithium-enriched water, appears to have been an ancient Native American sacred site. By the late 19th century Lithia Springs was a famous health destination visited by Mark Twain and Presidents Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt.

Lithium drinks were in huge demand for their reputed health-giving properties, so much so that the element was added to commercial drinks. 7-Up was originally called Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda and contained lithium citrate right up until 1950. In fact, it's been suggested that the 7 in 7-Up refers to the atomic mass of the lithium. (Maybe the 'Up' referred to mood?) Even beer made with lithia water was available.

hmmm - And Coca Cola (and others drinks) contained cocaine... Many food containers were made with lead sealing. Even Mercurochrome, a laceration medication, probably contained mercury and chromium. I sure hope those scientist do a lot of checking this out. I would welcome fewer suicides, but I sure wouldn't want to explode like we're reading some lithium batteries are doing.

Home remedies have proved themselves to be good in so many cases. I'm 'for' them if they're shown to be safe, but some haven't. Thanks for the link though.

/ Lithium: It's Something In The Water #10  
I use to work at a chemical plant in the 80's. We made Lithium Carbonate. I've probably breathed in my fair share of Li.

I've never been suicidal ... so there you go.:cool2: