Live Animal Traps

/ Live Animal Traps #22  
For a real life version of that vid, search for Badass Texas Rabbit
As in, don't mess with a mamma ANYTHING :eek: ... Steve

/ Live Animal Traps #25  
+1 Agree, Raccoons are mini bears with an awesome bite. Last year they chewed a plastic wheel off the grill! 🦝
i've had coons go through plastic buckets of grain with ease, but still surprised at the gnawed wire escape. OP: do badgers roam your area? i surely would train a cam on the trap & post (you have no choice now :)
also: using what kind of bait? i may have missed that

Last edited:
   / Live Animal Traps #26  
Mink,there's mink all over Mn,they are tough and can easily fit through that hole. It could have made the hole to escape or was passing by, spotted a trapped chipmunk, helped him escape then invited him to dinner.

/ Live Animal Traps #27  
Where was the bait placed in the trap @Richard001? And what kind of bait. From the pictures it looks like the bait was probably placed close to that hardwire cloth. I have had some pretty big raccoons bend and twist some strong traps.

I’ve also had some reach in from the outside to grab bait and I would find the trap empty, tripped and all bait gone.

In this case I’m betting the ‘coon tore through the wire from outside and stole the bait.

Please take the suggestion to put a game camera on it. It will be some great video.

Don’t reinforce the wire until you get the video and clear Up this mystery. But when you do, you should leave the Hardware cloth attached to the wood and place the stronger wire over it. That way you will probably keep the little bandit from robbing your bait from the outside.

/ Live Animal Traps #28  
I have trapped a couple dozen raccoons. It is better to have a commercial live trap out of heavy duty wire that they can see through. I put cat kibble in a plastic container (like from cottage cheese), put a wire through one edge on the top and hang it in the very back of the cage. To reach it they have to step on the platform to trip it. You need to test the platform that it will trip easily (use stick). I've also trapped many feral cats to get then fixed.

/ Live Animal Traps
Where was the bait placed in the trap @Richard001? And what kind of bait. From the pictures it looks like the bait was probably placed close to that hardwire cloth. I have had some pretty big raccoons bend and twist some strong traps.

I’ve also had some reach in from the outside to grab bait and I would find the trap empty, tripped and all bait gone.

In this case I’m betting the ‘coon tore through the wire from outside and stole the bait.

Please take the suggestion to put a game camera on it. It will be some great video.

Don’t reinforce the wire until you get the video and clear Up this mystery. But when you do, you should leave the Hardware cloth attached to the wood and place the stronger wire over it. That way you will probably keep the little bandit from robbing your bait from the outside.
Well that is an interesting theory. However the trap door it tripped by a plate that is inside the the trap. No I suppose that with enough vigorous movement of the trap, the trigger could go and let the door down.

An interesting side note to this story is that I have a aluminum piece of metal attached to a poison bait to keep the bait box from disappearing, you know, being dragged off.

Not knowing what has been chewing on the aluminum piece, I placed my trail camera to view the aluminum piece. Well today I see that it is a squirrel that is chewing on it. I would have never guessed that. I will get the photo of the aluminum piece on here soon.

/ Live Animal Traps #30  
Well that is an interesting theory. However the trap door it tripped by a plate that is inside the the trap. No I suppose that with enough vigorous movement of the trap, the trigger could go and let the door down.

An interesting side note to this story is that I have a aluminum piece of metal attached to a poison bait to keep the bait box from disappearing, you know, being dragged off.

Not knowing what has been chewing on the aluminum piece, I placed my trail camera to view the aluminum piece. Well today I see that it is a squirrel that is chewing on it. I would have never guessed that. I will get the photo of the aluminum piece on here soon.
This is getting more interesting. I could see a squirrel biting through that hardware cloth.

i don’t understand this: An interesting side note to this story is that I have a aluminum piece of metal attached to a poison bait to keep the bait box from disappearing, you know, being dragged off.

If they target has to go inside to get the bait and trip the trigger to shut the door why do you need a poison bait to keep the bait box from being dragged off?