Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
Anyone notice living with teenage kids is like living with crackheads? One day you notice your Reese Hitch is missing, then see it on son's truck; your tow straps are missing; your jumper cables aren't where you left them....

He's a 'good kid' but I swear about 3 times a day, I want to squeeze him till the twitching stops...

Sunday, battery in my truck died; both pairs of jumper cables, and the LithIon jump pack are in his truck, and he's at dinner with his GF, 50 miles away. Today, I'm cleaning up outside, and notice one of my Brand new 3300 lbs tie down straps is thrown off into the woods, and ripped in half...

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #2  
Yep, a conversation is in order about respect for one another's property yada yada. But have the conversation when you're not mad. I've raised two sons and my biggest regrets are getting angry over small things, instead of having a respectful conversation.

Many would trade your problems for their kids problems. Many are dealing with addiction, real addiction.

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #3  
I would just take his stuff and see how he likes it.

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #4  
My son works with me during the summers, so he knows if he screws with my ****, he’s going to suffer, too. Even if he didn’t, he knows what a bear I am.

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads
It's mostly just an annoyed rant, but, heck I got a 17 yo, 11 yo, and an 8 yo...

The 17 yo works about 24 hrs/week, goes to an honors HS, taking college credit classes, is an Eagle Scout, and is the source of 90% of the calls for 'parents of'. FWC, School, Sheriff's office... Makes me wonder how my mom didn't strangle me. He's smart, but a dumb ass, if that makes sense. Heck, the Sheriff's office called once about some 'joke' $100 bills; and although no charges where filed; they did create a case record, and record the serial numbers, just incase those bills ever popped up again.

You want them to be independent, and learn from their own mistakes; while hopefully staying out of jail and not killing themselves or anyone else.

I know I did things in teens/early early 20s that I could have served 15 years for...

He did replace the strap; but he got the smart track (or whatever it's called) ones, rated for 840 lbs. Was able to save all but about 18" of the good tie down. Would have been pissed if I got somewhere needing it, and found that smart track strap.
20230517_194003.jpg

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #6  
A very good friend of mines comment on raising children is the ability to get them to 18 year old with either of you having a felony on your record. Some days that is a challenge.

My wife always told the kids you are going to grow up and have kid just like you. Strange how that frequently happens and both daughter-in-laws blame me for that.

Last edited:
   / Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #7  
I thought you were referring to the fact that with teenagers there is never any clean dishes or food in the fridge.

My son knows that if he mistreats my tools HE will be replacing them.
As far as equipment for his truck, we did a shopping spree the day he bought it to make sure he had the "necessities".

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #8  
From junior HS through early college years, the sons and daughters think their parents know nothing. But I’ve noticed that as they enter their mid 20s, mom and dad seem to once more become a sought after source for information.

/ Living with teenagers like living with Crackheads #9  
Honestly, sounds like you’ve got a hell of a teenager. He could be doing a lot worse. All you need to do is a tune-up on him, not a full rebuild.