Loaded rear tire pressure

/ Loaded rear tire pressure #1  

bobsphotos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320 Ford 641 Ford 861 Kubota L3400
My manual for my 3320 recommends that my rear's ( R4 15x19.5) be inflated to 20-31 lbs for unloaded, unballasted tires. My tractor is always ballasted and my tires are loaded with Rim Guard. What pressure should I be running?
Thanks,
Bob W

/ Loaded rear tire pressure #2  
Filled tires don't affect required inflation pressure. Wheel weights, ballast box, and mounted implements(on three point or heavy drawbar mounted have effect on inflation pressure required. Basically need to keep enough pressure to get a good footprint on the ground. Ideally when driving on concrete or blacktop the tread should make contact full width of tire without bulging the sidewall. With R4's the sidewall is so stiff, it is easy to be underinflated. The sidewall doesn't bulge until really low on pressure.

/ Loaded rear tire pressure #3  
I have heard it said that three bars of the tire should flatly contact the ground at the same time. That is supposed to be the correct pressure for that tire in it's situation. I run a little more pressure than that.

/ Loaded rear tire pressure #4  
I run mine at 10psi even with backhoe on. I have window wash (-20) in my R4s for couple years now.

/ Loaded rear tire pressure #5  
My manual for my 3320 recommends that my rear's ( R4 15x19.5) be inflated to 20-31 lbs for unloaded, unballasted tires. My tractor is always ballasted and my tires are loaded with Rim Guard. What pressure should I be running?
Thanks,
Bob W

My manual calls for 20lbs the same whether loaded or not. Some guys run less, but you run a risk in very cold weather of the pressure lowering due to the cold, and you can roll the bead, especially when the tire is new and the bead may not be seated as well as it would be after some time. You should check tire pressure more often in very cold weather. Would not want to lose your liquid ballast, and it has happened to a few guys on here from not checking their pressure this winter.