Loaded tires and hydrostat

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #11  
I see that the wheel spacers come in 2" 4" 6". When you flip the wheels how much more space are you gaining. When your tires are loaded are there any tricks you can share for handling such a heavy tire.

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #12  
I see that the wheel spacers come in 2" 4" 6". When you flip the wheels how much more space are you gaining. When your tires are loaded are there any tricks you can share for handling such a heavy tire.

Observe the dish of the tires. Measure both the inside dish and outside dish. calculate how much you will gain for each.

Do you have or can you borrow or rent an engine hoist. OR, two people, and never let the tire start to tip. Think through your route and where you are going to lean the first tire up against and how you are going to remove and reinstall the other side. This is of course much more dangerous. If it starts to tip over too far, you will not be able to stop it. and you need to be able to get out of the way. Also it is "heck" to get the wheel holes and the axle lined up. No fun at all. I used wedges and shims to finally get it on. They make a nice lift with rollers to handle these heavy tires. Tire shops have them.

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #13  
Observe the dish of the tires. Measure both the inside dish and outside dish. calculate how much you will gain for each.

Do you have or can you borrow or rent an engine hoist. OR, two people, and never let the tire start to tip. Think through your route and where you are going to lean the first tire up against and how you are going to remove and reinstall the other side. This is of course much more dangerous. If it starts to tip over too far, you will not be able to stop it. and you need to be able to get out of the way. Also it is "heck" to get the wheel holes and the axle lined up. No fun at all. I used wedges and shims to finally get it on. They make a nice lift with rollers to handle these heavy tires. Tire shops have them.

I have a engine lift and lots of tools, I was also thinking of using a floor jack and making a flat plate that bolts to the floor jack to lift the tire, but I see your point of trying to get the holes lined up with no way to rotate the tire, when the tractor is in neutral can you rotate the axle by hand to align the lugs. I sure would hate to drop a 300 lb tire on my leg.

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #14  
I have a engine lift and lots of tools, I was also thinking of using a floor jack and making a flat plate that bolts to the floor jack to lift the tire, but I see your point of trying to get the holes lined up with no way to rotate the tire, when the tractor is in neutral can you rotate the axle by hand to align the lugs. I sure would hate to drop a 300 lb tire on my leg.

If you jack up both tires you can rotate the axle hub. One will rotate the direction you push it and the other will rotate the opposite direction. this is probably your best bet, Just jack up the middle of the tractor, I use the drawbar housing, Just barely get the tires off of the ground, and use your engine hoist to move them around, and rotate the hub to get it lines up.. Should not be bad at all that way.

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #15  
If you jack up both tires you can rotate the axle hub. One will rotate the direction you push it and the other will rotate the opposite direction. this is probably your best bet, Just jack up the middle of the tractor, I use the drawbar housing, Just barely get the tires off of the ground, and use your engine hoist to move them around, and rotate the hub to get it lines up.. Should not be bad at all that way.

thanks for the info on the axle:)

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat
thanks for the info on the axle:)

I bought 2 extra mounting bolts and cut the heads off and use them as guide studs when doing mine. You don't use them a lot but you have them for future use. Already used mine twice on each side. I have had them off to flip and off again to add my 3rd scv kit and repair something else.

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #17  
I bought 2 extra mounting bolts and cut the heads off and use them as guide studs when doing mine. You don't use them a lot but you have them for future use. Already used mine twice on each side. I have had them off to flip and off again to add my 3rd scv kit and repair something else.

Wow, another great idea, thanks:thumbsup:

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #18  
A greased board under the tire is a huge help for lining up your bolt holes. Learned that on TBN. Saved lots of cursing.

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #19  
A greased board under the tire is a huge help for lining up your bolt holes. Learned that on TBN. Saved lots of cursing.

I put a loaded tire back on what amounts to a full size utility tractor, and believe me, there was plenty of cursing, sweating and not a small amount of anguish.

/ Loaded tires and hydrostat #20  
The times I've needed to remove/remount the loaded rear tires on the 4300 have not been much of a problem. R-4's balance pretty good and moving them about enough to line up the bolts doesn't take much as I recall. Sure not worth dealing with grease or special pointed pins.
Get one started and the others are pretty easy to move into place. Do it with one bottle jack or floor jack.

Attachments

• tirechange.jpg
    tirechange.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 102