Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze?

/ Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #31  
I just use maple syrup. That way when I get hungry I just pull over, cook up some pancakes, drain some of the butter from the engine, and have the syrup right with me!

/ Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #32  
My tire guy hates Rim Guard. He comments that Rim Guard is so thick and viscous that with a larger tractor it can take most of a day to pump a tire out to repair it and refill it. It is very sticky and difficult to handle for a repair reuse situation. I will have to ask him about using RV antifreeze or other similar materials next time I talk to him.

/ Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #33  
My dealer uses windshield washer fluid. Cheap, easy to fool with, not dangerous, and won't freeze easily.

When my father does them at home he's used antifreeze for decades. Again, cheap, easy to fool with, and won't freeze easily. The risk of a tire puncture leading to a puddle that a pet goes out and drinks before it can seep into the ground is lower than the odds of me winning the lottery.

Last edited:
   / Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #34  
The place I am buying my tractor from says that they load the rear tires with antifreeze. Is this okay or should I be telling them no? My last tractor I had tubes installed and had them filled with calcium chloride.
Ask if it’s Rimguard that’s what you want.

/ Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #35  
My dealer said they use a "fancy windshield washer fluid" his words. Don't know what that meant but not worried about it. He said they don't use beet juice because it is too messy. I'm in Ohio, if it is too cold for windshield washer fluid, I won't be on my tractor.
There is a newer less messy, but non toxic and non corrosive product called bio-ballast that dealers are using in my area. It also has a low freezing point.

/ Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #36  
You only filled tubed tires with CaCL, never a tubeless tire. You still have to monitor it around the valve stem - that's where you will typically find a small leak and if you do, you have to deal with it immediately.
But why deal with it when there are better options?

/ Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #37  
I've had anti-freeze in my tractor tires for 18 yrs, and no problems. I got it from the truck maintenance shop at the industrial plant I managed that I retired from. For the truck shop, used anti-freeze is a waste product that they have to pay to get rid of, so giving me a drum of used anti-freeze benefited both of us.

/ Loaded tires filled with....antifreeze? #39  
I put glycol (anti freeze) in my tires over calcium mainly because I was afraid of rim rot. I have had them in over 10 years never had a problem.