Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride?

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #1  

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HSTC Cab, MF 135 Diesel
Hello all,
Kubota dealer has suggested loading the tires with water (at no charge) on the cabbed L5460 that is to be delivered later this week to improve the ride. This tractor will replace the identical open station I currently have. He knows I have back issues. The air ride seat is on order so it will be installed later. Note I do not intend to have a FEL any time soon. Good thing as loaders are back ordered for 6-8 months o_O. Plain water is standard in this area.

My question to those with experience, which provides a softer ride, loaded tires or air only at a lowered pressure? R-4’s.
Thanks.

edited 8/30 2 pm

Last edited:
   / Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #2  
Depends on exactly what tires it has on it.

SR

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #3  
Hello all,
Kubota dealer has suggested loading the tires (at no charge) on the cabbed L5460 that is to be delivered later this week to improve the ride. He knows I have back issues. The air ride seat is on order so it will be installed later. Note I do not intend to have a FEL any time soon. Good thing as loaders are back ordered for 6-8 months o_O. Plain water is standard in this area.

My question to those with experience, which provides a softer ride, loaded or air only at a lowered pressure? Thanks.
Pressure is pressure. Tractor tires run 13 lbs regardless. Pulls way better with heavy tires.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #6  
Should not be a lot of difference. Many Kubota dealers fill 40-50%, not going above the axle. Then the softness of the tire is still regulated by the pressure of the air in the tire. Also, If he does it for free, then that is a feature of the deal. The dealer is trying to address ballast issues you read so often.

What was the dealer offering to fill with? Methanol - beet juice(Rim Guard) - windshield fluid? or CACL? Or just plain water - I guess you don't see much freezing.
Probably methanol. That is what my Kubota dealer used. It was also free. Water is about the lightest of the choices.

The time waiting for the FEL will pass QUICKLY. Then you will wish you had opted for filled tires - with more weight than water. A bucket load of gravel will make you rear tires have very little traction. You will then hunt for a ballast solution.

I would recommend asking the dealer about tire and ballast options, including maybe methanol or Rim Guard, even if you have to pay for it. It is not terribly expensive. Best Wishes.

Last edited:
   / Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #7  
13lbs will roll an R4 off the rim easily we run 30 with a loader
We run 30 in the front. Not in the big tires on rear. My brother saw the 32 on the side of a rear tire. Aired it up to that. Went out in the field in the sun, I thought a bomb exploded. Blowed that tire like a balloon. He said he saw 32 on it, I said seating bead only is what it says. We run 13 in all back tires. We carry two 6x5 round bales on front every time. We use the forks spread wide. Frame for forks is 7' so it spreads wide enough to stick a fork in the top of two bales. And a bale on spear in rear. We need 2,000 bales for each winter. Plus we log, clear land, load dump trucks, whatever.

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_152038.jpg
    IMG_20220719_152038.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20220721_165212.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165212.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20220801_190342.jpg
    IMG_20220801_190342.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 105
   / Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #8  
I would opt for filling the rears. Unless there is a specific need to stay as light as you can on that tractor's weight.

I think the air ride seat will add more benefit than whatever tire you pick, or whether or not you fill them.

I would fill them for stability and traction. You will most likely run out of traction before you ever run out of hp.

Back in AZ, we always filled the rear tires with plain water. It works.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #9  
My rear tires are filled with RimGuard. I run them at around 15 psi. I don't think I would notice any difference if they were filled with just air @ 15 psi.

If you need help with your back - better be looking for an air ride seat.

JMHO - a radial ply R-1 tire at minimum recommended pressure will probably be the softest ride as far as tires.

/ Loaded tires or air for a better/smoother ride? #10  
R4's are going to give the harshest ride, whether filled or not. That said, I can't tell much of a difference in properly filled tires vs air only.